Logo

Old AQ Parts

Thundrrr

I am in the midst of beautifying my AQ 250 and removed my Upper Cover for painting. The front right hollow bolt o ring spun out in an ugly manner... guess it needed replacement anyway. The part number listed (955989) for this must be for the newer Hollow Screw, as I ordered some and it is way too big. The ring itself is larger than the stud head. I can not find the part number for a smaller oring anywhere. Any suggestions?

I received the o rings.
They are larger than the head of the bolt. There is no way these will work.
The o ring I pulled out is a tight fit to the bolt as it should be. It is a stud... which is obsolwte apparently. Not the flared hollow screw.

I received the o rings.
They are larger than the head of the bolt. There is no way these will work.
The o ring I pulled out is a tight fit to the bolt as it should be. It is a stud... which is obsolwte apparently. Not the flared hollow screw.

The 250 transmission top cover hollow screw/bolt will/should look like this below.
The proper O-ring will be thin and it will fit snugly onto the upper-most shank area.

volvo penta hollow bolt and oring.jpg

Are you certain that you have a 250?

volvo penta 250 ID.jpg

Last edited:

The 250 transmission top cover hollow screw/bolt will/should look like this below.
The proper O-ring will be thin and it will fit snugly onto the upper-most shank area.

View attachment 20247

Are you certain that you have a 250?

View attachment 20246

Yes I understand that this is the part listed. Yet there was another hollow bolt used on early 250s. It is a stud just like to other 3. The new screw would never fit in the hole as this stud head fits very snug to the hole walls. The part was listed on a volvo parts site. Again.. the head is identical to the 3 others on the cover. I have also seen photos of this in your forum. You had a comparisson of a 250 with a 270... the 250 in the picture had the same stud
In the cover.
Im not sure why I can not post pictures.. sorry
Kevin

Rick, while your on the subject of the transmission cover cap bolts, would you please explain the purpose of the larger cap bolt in the front-starboard position (for example on my 275 outdrive). Thanks.

http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?421963-Replace-Aquamatic-250-with-280
Here is a comparison out of your forum.
The 250 has a hollow bolt part 814176... this is like mine. The hole is different to accommodate this bolt head very tightly.
The available part that you sent is 814643. It has a much larger head that sinks into place. The washer 955898 fits that part.
The washer mentioned is larger than the head of my bold... clearly not the correct washer for my application. Right bolt? It is listed in the exploded view of the aq 250 on the volvo site. It is listed as obsolete.
Surprised that you have never encountered this. The bolts are quite expensive... lol

Rick, while your on the subject of the transmission cover cap bolts, would you please explain the purpose of the larger cap bolt in the front-starboard position (for example on my 275 outdrive). Thanks.

I think that the original intent was for it to be loosened and to serve as a vent or even a fill port during a gear oil change.
Honestly..... in all of my years of working on these, I have never used one for a vent or for a fill port.

Some of the older drives used a phenolic gasket in lieu of an O-ring. Dip stick and drain plug, for example.
Maybe this calls for a gasket!

Back