Logo

Can't identify two 9.8s - no transom plate

EdZeppeli

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I bought two for a good deal in the hopes of making one good one out of them.

I'll need to procure some parts.

One block is stamped 'Ser. No. 1206 8' right on the block. Has thermostat housing. Doesn't seem to jive with my understanding of Mercury convention. Looks like this:

MercuryOutboardSerial.jpgMercury9.8motor.jpgMercury9.8cover.jpg

Second block is stamped 'Ser. No. 393819'. Electric start. Looks like this:

MercuryOutboardSerial2.jpgMercury2motor.jpgMercury2cover.jpg

Thanks again for any assistance identifying these.

Warren

Going by the decals first pictures are an 81 / 82 / 83 model.----------Next one is a 1976 / 77 model.----Essentially the same motors as far as parts are concerned.

Going by the decals first pictures are an 81 / 82 / 83 model.----------Next one is a 1976 / 77 model.----Essentially the same motors as far as parts are concerned.

Thanks. That helps narrow it down a bit.

Still, weird that the 'Ser. No.' wouldn't actually be a traceable serial number.

On your second pic it looks like there may be a "4" (not fully stamped) as the first digit of the serial which would make it 4393819 which would (work) for a 1976 blue band Merc.

On your second pic it looks like there may be a "4" (not fully stamped) as the first digit of the serial which would make it 4393819 which would (work) for a 1976 blue band Merc.

Yeah now that you mention it, it does kind of look like a four, albeit a '4' that is disproportionately smaller than the other digits.

Tks

Back