Logo

Replacing Plug Seals (Honda 225)

brettmarl

Regular Contributor
I started digging in on replacing my spark plug tube seals today. Thought pulling the valve cover would be quick - but didn't realize how much I have to take out to get there...

So far, I've just removed the lower cowlings the silencer case and starting to pull the intake manifold. Before I get too far... I only have the plug seals and a new valve-cover gasket on hand for parts.

From the manual it appears that I'll need to pull the throttle body and when I pull the intake manifold there are several gaskets that it says I should not re-use (So far I count the intake manifold gasket, one behind intake manifold spacer and one behind throttle body spacer).

Should I order more parts (gaskets) before proceeding?

Tough call to make, but to be on the safe side, yes, replace all those gaskets and O rings. You don't want to be tearing it apart again because of leaks.

Probably best to replace them just to be safe, but I have removed mine at least 3 times and have always reused them without any issues.

My Honda dealer did valve adjust on this motor about six months ago. Safe assumption that they would replace them at that time? If so ... I’m wondering if they are new enough to inspect / try reusing. I’m really keen to get boat back in the water and not delay another week on parts ...

Well here’s the smoking gun if ever I saw one... Tube #1 plug seal was unseated.

All replaced and back in. I didn’t need to take the throttle body off the intake so that went pretty smooth in the end and the gasket that I did open up seemed in good shape.

Thanks for the help. Not sure I’d feel confident enough to tackle this if it wasn’t for this great community of wisdom!

7B78173D-20B3-4090-AD03-7955F83492B9.jpg

Back