Logo

2003 Johnson 175 HP fouling/stalling in gear at idle

Joe McDonald

I have a 2003 Johnson 175 HP with new plugs, coils and plug wires are good. The motor runs and idles on the trailer (running rich) but in the water it will idle down and stall out. Can someone help me or provide information with the fuel/oil mixture issue. Thank you

It left the factory with automatic oil injection.-----If that system is disabled you mix at 50:1 on it.-----Why 6 new coils ???-----Did you inspect carburetor bowls ?----They are often warped.----What other trouble shooting was done if any ?----Where is the red lever on the electric primer valve ?-----Is it inline with the valve body ?

Thank for getting back with me so quick..... the oiling system has not been disconnected or tampered with. The coils were replaced but all functioning well. I did not inspect the carburetor bowls, there is no obvious leaks. The lever for the primer valve is pointing down. The exhaust center of prop is always blackened with soot and there is blackened soot trails running down the front leading edge (carburetor side) or the Mid-section and lower unit. It appears that the fuel/oil mixture is way off. The motor runs well at speed, 1200 RPM and above. Your thoughts, thank you

Thank you Faztbullet, I'm going to try a spray bottle with fuel around all bases and components try see if I can make an idle change. Is there a way to test the VRO regardiing a cycling issue. This is frustrating, chasing tail..... Thanks

Frustrating until some trouble shooting is done !-----How long have you owned this motor ?-----Did this stalling develop suddenly?----Check one of the carburetor bowls for warpage.-----Compression test values are ?

I've owned this boat for 2 plus years, twin Johnson's 175 HP (J175PXSTM) 25 inch shafts. This motor has always seemed to run richer then the port motor with excess oil around the carburetor/intake side of the powerhead. This motor stalled out periodically, but always cleared up until the last 2 or 3 trips. Stalls out going into gear if 800 RPM or less. The last compression test were equal for all cylinders. I ran this motor twice today 10 minutes each time. The oil light and alarm sounded within the first 10 seconds, then went off. I shut it down and restarted without an oil issue again. (boat on the trailer) While I was cleaning the carburetor side of motor, I notice an upper carburetor mounting bolt missing from a center carburetor. I replaced the bolt, but have not run the boat in the water. I don't know if this fixed my problem, will run in water under power as soon as possible. Your thoughts and thank you for your help.

Back