Logo

Repower Crusader 350xl clarification drop in engines

cookieusn

I purchased a 1994 Carver 30' Aft cabin with 2 Crusader 350xl engines. This vessel size and the inboards are new to me, outboards up to this point. I have been researching the repowering options and spoke to numerous companies that offer new or remanufactured drop in/turnkey. One company tells me that all of the 350hp,5.7,454 between 1987-1996 are identical other than exchanging manifolds that convert it to a mercruiser, volvo-penta etc.Is this valid? What is the difference in the term remanufactured vs. new? Thank You

I purchased a 1994 Carver 30' Aft cabin with 2 Crusader 350xl engines. This vessel size and the inboards are new to me, outboards up to this point. I have been researching the repowering options and spoke to numerous companies that offer new or remanufactured drop in/turnkey.
One company tells me that all of the 350hp,5.7
You will not find a Marine version 5.7L that offers a true 350hp at the RPM at which the engine will be operated at.

454 between 1987-1996 are identical other than exchanging manifolds that convert it to a mercruiser, volvo-penta etc.Is this valid?
With a few exceptions, yes!

What is the difference in the term remanufactured vs. new?
Remanufactured engines ares built from previously used engine components. The cylinders are typically bored out to the first over-bore dimension. All parts are cleaned, examined, tested, re-machined (if need be), etc prior to being used.

New is New............, as in all brand new, unused components!

Thank You

Remanufactured means different things to different people....so most reputable shops will tell you what operations/checks they do in their process.

I believe what the one company rep told you can be restated as this: Most every marine engine builder (brand names) buy the base 'standard production' engines from GM. Some models (especially newer) have also been offered with a HO (high output) option. so the base long blocks are used, from GM, and then the 'bolt ons' are added, usually they come from a third party.

If you go the 'new route' make sure what you are buying will actually replace what you have....the early 1990s saw a lot of change in what was made/offered - specifically the lack of reverse rotation engines....

I purchased a 1994 Carver 30' Aft cabin with 2 Crusader 350xl engines. This vessel size and the inboards are new to me, outboards up to this point. I have been researching the repowering options and spoke to numerous companies that offer new or remanufactured drop in/turnkey. One company tells me that all of the 350hp,5.7,454 between 1987-1996 are identical other than exchanging manifolds that convert it to a mercruiser, volvo-penta etc.Is this valid? What is the difference in the term remanufactured vs. new? Thank You

It is my understanding that the Crusader 350XL is a 350 cubic inch engine, not 350 horsepower. You may have received some conflicting information from the engine vendors you spoke to. The 350 c.i. and 5.7 liter engines are the same displacement and turn out about 270 hp. And the 454 c.i. and 7.4 liter are roughly the same; they turn out about 350 hp. I say roughly because the engine blocks evolved over time, and some of your original components (e.g. a mechanical fuel pump) may not bolt on to a later engine.

Your vendors who provided quotes might have been thinking of earlier Crusaders where the engine models were named for their horsepower. The 350 c.i. engine was the CH270 model, and the 454 c.i. engine was the CH350 model.

It is my understanding that the Crusader 350XL is a 350 cubic inch engine, not 350 horsepower. You may have received some conflicting information from the engine vendors you spoke to. The 350 c.i. and 5.7 liter engines are the same displacement and turn out about 270 hp. And the 454 c.i. and 7.4 liter are roughly the same; they turn out about 350 hp. I say roughly because the engine blocks evolved over time, and some of your original components (e.g. a mechanical fuel pump) may not bolt on to a later engine.

Your vendors who provided quotes might have been thinking of earlier Crusaders where the engine models were named for their horsepower. The 350 c.i. engine was the CH270 model, and the 454 c.i. engine was the CH350 model.

Thank You

I just replaced an old 5.7 Crusader with a BASE 5.7 new GM manufactured/marinized long block from Michigan motors.
yes it is true that except for the paint and the bolt on ancillary items all the manufacturers use the same BASE 5.7 engine. They asked if i wanted it painted Crusader blue before shipping it to me since I had Crusaders. OBTW nice people.

True the new BASE Long block I purchased is for 1967-1985 and is 260hp.

Back