Logo

AQ140A Engine runs erratically

Alan Haskell

Hi all,
New to this site but thought it would be good to join so i can benefit from others experiences.
Here is my issue.
My Port engine will start, idle and run fine for a while but suddenly begin to lose power.
The Revs falling and climbing quickly.
If left the fault will sometimes sort itself out but sometimes the engine will stall. But starts again easily.
Had the engine tuned and the marine engineer suggested a vac leak.
Rebuilt carbs but the fault persists.
My thought now is either the coil or an air leak in the fuel line.
Anyone
Suffered symptoms like
These?

My Port engine will start, idle and run fine for a while but suddenly begin to lose power.
The Revs falling and climbing quickly.
If left, the fault will sometimes sort itself out but sometimes the engine will stall. But starts again easily.
Had the engine tuned and the marine engineer suggested a vac leak.
Vacuum leaks (at/under carburetors) generally affect low speed operation only. Not to say that it could not be the issue.

Rebuilt carbs but the fault persists.
With twin engines, you have the ability to swap parts..... Starboard for Port, and/or visa-versa.
If you do, see if the problem follows the part!

My thought now is either the coil or an air leak in the fuel line.
Ignition coil would be suspect. Sometimes they will heat up and will malfunction.
Again...... swap parts and see if the problem follows the part!

FYI.... the OEM mechanical advancing ignition distributors on these engines are prone to having flyweight and flyweight return spring issues.
I would suggest checking not only BASE advance, but also the progressive advance and see if it is offering the correct OEM advance curve throughout the RPM range.

See your OEM specs for this data.

Ok after a lot of messing with the Solex Carburetors at our marine engineer's insistance that this was the issue, i found the plastic insulation around the condenser capacitor to be cracked allowing it to ark to the distributor body.
Problem solved.
Thanks for your time guys.

Ok after a lot of messing with the Solex Carburetors at our marine engineer's insistance that this was the issue, i found the plastic insulation around the condenser capacitor to be cracked allowing it to ark to the distributor body.
Problem solved.
Thanks for your time guys.

Just a suggestion......
Always ask for, and be willing to pay for, proper diagnostics up front.
Once the diagnostics have been confirmed and reduced to a work order "quote", authorize the work to be performed.
If the work did NOT correct the problem, then the diagnostics were not accurate.
In your case, it would appear that you paid for carburetor work that was not fruitful, yet you were charged for it!

Again, just a suggestion!

Back