Logo

Parting out a 1979 Galaxy 1000 Bowrider with a Mercruiser in line 4 cylinder 140 hp i/o

DarrenG

I recently found a 1979 Galaxy on Facebook Marketplace for free so had to go check it out. The trailer looked fine and it was dark and the boat had leaves and pine straw halfway to my knees so I just took it home and took a look at it the next day. I'm currently working on restoring a Mercruiser 5.0 V8 and didn't wanna take on another project like that. The owner didn't know what winterize meant and there were no spark plug cables attached to the Mercruiser in line 4 Cylinder and the outdrive was already detached and sitting inside the boat. I'm going to part out the engine and outdrive and sell the boat and trailer as having no motor because the boat cleaned up beautifully and the floor is as solid as a new boat. What parts are most valuable and what is the best way to sell them. For example: I see outdrives sold as one unit tested and untested, and both just upper or lower unit. Would I benefit financially from separating the upper and lower and selling individually?

I see what you mean. I'll see if the outdrive sells and go from there. I also have a 1995 Manta Ray with a Mercruiser 5.0 V8 that I've been trying to get running. Looking at what just the outdrives on those sell for I'm thinking I might should part that one out. Could you see that being more profitable?

Back