Logo

BF15 CDI Malfunction

YerDaddy

This is an early model BF15 (BAAL-1101xxx) that has been acting up for 10 years. It was rare at first, but has consistently gotten to be more of a problem. I have always suspected a poor connection somewhere in the ignition circuit.
The problem - it will be running along as nice as can be (slow speed trolling), then suddenly start stumbling. The RPM drops to barely running, it's rough and shaking. Then it will just start running perfect again, all by itself. It's not heat - sometimes it will act like this on a cold start. I never believed it was fuel related, because it's like a light switch - ON or OFF.
I've tried many times to wiggle wires and connectors while it's acting up, to no avail. Pulled them all apart and cleaned and shined them up - no change.
Well, today I was running on a stand in a barrel and it pulled the same old trick. I happened to have a 14mm wrench in my hand and gave the CDI box a gentle tap. To my surprise, it switched to Run Good, for a couple seconds. another tap, momentary success. While it's stumbling along I began to remove the CDI and rubber mount, and it smoothes out again. After playing with it for a bit, I think there is a poor connection IN the box, behind the external connector. Is that even possible? Has this happened to anyone else? I'd like to be fairly certain before shelling $170 on my hard earned cash.
Thanks,
Jess Hull - The new guy, here, at least

Back