Logo

Wireing issue

stizz49

Contributing Member
I recently bought a pontoon off someone. They had the lights radio and all accessories run to 1 battery and the engine ran to another battery. I cannot get the lights and accessories to work when hooked to their own battery. If I put them on the battery the engine is hooked to everything works. I know the battery is good I even tried another battery too. Anyone have any suggestions? Wiring isn't my thing. It just doesn't make sense to me the lights and accessories won't run off their own battery

So what do I need to do to be able to have the lights and accessories on their own battery? I'm dumb when it comes to wiring

3444DA2A-64E0-4095-8FE5-446B44FF4975.jpg I'm having trouble with my trim also. It's not working. When I hit the button to raise or lower the motor these wires get hot and start smoking. I changed the 2 relay switches in the black box beside the wires but it didn't help. Any suggestions

Most likely your trim motor is shorted to ground internally. You would have to change the motor.. why do you want to put the lights etc on a seperates battery?

The guy I bought it from said he ran them on separate batteries like that. I was just trying to hook it back up like that. I guess it would be easier just to hook them all up on the same battery and just keep a spare battery on board. Thanks for the help.

I would suggest that you re-wire and install a battery selector switch. Google "Perko" and view the various setups they have. That should solve any problems.

20388B58-043F-4F5A-A050-B2150BDCFF3E.jpgone more question about the trim. What is this? It's above the trim motor. The wires that run from this are not hooked up to anything at the battery end

I'd keep the accessories on their own battery and use an ACR to keep both charged while keeping the engine & controls separate...

the trim motor could be gone or it could be the ground wire is corroded....

no guess on the pic...

thumbnail (1).jpg heres my current setup. the bottom battery is the accessories the top is the starting battery. How would I wire that together with the switch

Back