Logo

Thermostat

Hey guys i have a 86 mercury 115hp outboard... i was having issues getting water out of the tell tale, i removed thermostat and was able to push water up to it, what is the second piece under the themostat cap, its like a 2” piece with a (phillips head) looking piece on end of it with a spring also... when i spray water down that part, it comes out the bottem where water tube is (drive off)

Ok answered my own question- its a poppit valve... can i remove this to get water flow at idle from a garden hose? When im on garden hose i get no water from tell tale

May need an impeller. When you apply water from garden hose. You should see the water being sucked up when you start the engine.

It would be easier to see on the hose. Did you line up the water tube when installing? Never lubricate the impeller with an oil base product when installing it. Did you inspect the tell tale hose? Sometimes insects like to make nests in them.

How long did you let it run before you decided it wasn't working?

So originally when i got this boat , i did eventually barely trickle out water after warm, so i changed impeller and still got slight trickle and now i get nothing on the garden hose, 4-6 stream when in the water, water flowing out of the bottem of cover

First your motor has to be a late 1988 or early 1989 as the I-6 did not have t-stats/poppets. Take off cowl and remove exhaust cover on port side. Cooling water comes thru this plate first before it ever gets to t-stat or poppet. That's why indicator hose comes off it.

Photo's always help. Show us what you are talking about. You should test it in a tank of water, or in the water itself. Then the impeller(housing) will be submerged below the water surface. I got the same motor (i think, i got the square cowlings) and i do not get a tell tail either when i test it on land when i use the mufflers. In the water it cools just fine.

I dont think it should be like this. I mean, it should work on the land with the mufflers, but it dont. Too bad, go ahead and try it in the water.

Last edited:
Also, check if there is water leaking at the upper engine mounts. This is a regular thing with those engines. This is just below the cowlings. But send us a photo of your motor first. Do you have 6 cilinder (i6) of 4 cylinder (i4)

es leaks below cowling

Did you try it in the water yet?

I shouldnt worry to much about the leak under the cowling at the top of the midsection. i got the same issue. I pulled the powerhead twice because i have broken the upper mounts twice because of hard jumping waves. But it is probably a leak somewhere in the exhaust plate. Also some marine engineers say its normal to do that.

But have you tried anything?

Back