Logo

Evinrude '99 E40PL4EE 40HP 4 stroke - no hi pressure pump noise

gittarzann

Life got super busy and I left my boat sitting for a couple years.

The motor turns over fine, but no signs of firing or even trying to fire.

So far I have replaced all the filters, fluids and spark plugs.

I drained the tank and put fresh gas in.

Bought new batteries.

And have worked through my Seloc manual and checked most of the components I can check with a DMM.

Seems like I have voltage everywhere I should and the resistance readings are within spec.

I have not checked the kill switch on the ignition.

Everything seems correct except for my pump not running for 3 seconds after I turn the key on.

I am pretty much resolved to the fact that I need to either change the pump or the entire VST.

Can anyone think something I can try or missed before I make the expensive purchase?

​​​​​​​Thanks in advance

The connector to the pump has 12 volts on it when the key switch is on, but I went ahead and applied 12 volts directly to the pump...nothing...

I'll try a few raps and report back

Nothing...tried 24 volt bump and nothing also.

I pulled the intake off and opened the VST....smells horrible...

I tried to unscrew the pump but the phillips screw is seized so I sprayed some penetrant and will let it sit.

I think I am going to order a used VST and I'll wait for a while try and get the pump out of my old one when I can spend quality time with it.

I removed my VST and have opened it up.

I found a pump that says its the same part # as my boat (per Marine Engine dot Com) 5032617.

So I am going to try one I found on ebay. It says it might not fit a '99 but it looks identical so I am going to try it

Well I screwed up. I was torquing the intake manifold. The manual called for 16 - 18 so I set my torque wrench for 17 lbs. and I was running through my 3rd and final round of tightening and the #4 bolt started spinning. I moved to #5 and it the wrench snapped like it was supposed to. I went back to #4 and started to take it out and it just snapped off.

I have worked on broken bolts before, but not on something so expensive if I screw up.

Any suggestions on a route to go?

I was thinking I would buy some brass tubing that fits snug in the bolt hole on the intake manifold and then use a cobalt drill bit that fits snug inside the brass tube the brass tube would keep the drill bit centered in the hole as I eat away at the stainless bolt til I can re- tap and get another bolt in.

I also thought of making a bridge between 2 or 3 of the other manifold bolts and tapping the bridge to push down on that one spot on the manifold.

I am so bummed, my son is going to boot camp and wanted to go fishing at least once together before he left and now I don't know what to do????

Back