Logo

D3-110 Fault codes

sailgrenadines

Hello, would anyone be able to help me find out what the following check engine fault codes mean on my 2012 Volvo Penta D3-110 marine diesel:

MID187 SID231
FMI12 OCC ---

&

MID187 PSID200
FMI9 OCC17

I currently have power at the panel, but no crank. I can't do a auto configure, I have no data (ie. tacho reads 0.0hrs). I have installed a new throttle about 2 months ago.

Any help would be amazing

Thanks in advance!

Not 100% sure but think they might be bus communication errors. Is everything properly connected? Has it worked since you installed the new throttle? Is the new throttle on the comms bus or separate wiring?

It worked fine after we installed the new throttle, then a few months later the main trip switch
before the start booster / EVC power supply (black box with one 4-pinned cable)
started tripping. We are waiting on a new start booster but have bridged it out for now to get power to the panel and are now experiencing the issues at the panel.

The throttle has 3 connections.
1: Multilink to the comms bus,
2: Key
3: Datalink to Engine

Everything appears to connected properly. Is there anyway to test if there is communication between the throttle / engine / bus?

Last edited:
If you shorted out the breaker there is a chance that you have overheated something. Whatever the breaker was protecting is where I would check first looking for signs of any overheating. Comms error may be that some part of the electronics is no longer getting power.

Sorry, to explain I shorted out the faulty start booster which was responsible for causing the breaker to trip. This allowed me to get power to the panel. I'm on a small island in the Caribbean and waiting on the new part, but according to my Volvo guy bridging out the start booster should not affect the data displayed on the panel (which I have none) and the engine should still crank.

We used to have a pair of D3 160's, but I can't remember the wiring setup sorry. Unfortunately I can't think of many worse engines to be stuck on a remote island with. I have had a lot of marine engines and the D3's were my worst nightmare. Very hard to diagnose without the Vodia Tool and even with the tool they were still a pain. Ours were early 2005/6 versions though and maybe they improved them.
One thing to watch is that you don't get corrosion on the vacuum unit that controls the VGT turbo vanes. The other thing is that the turbo vanes can stick and cause over/under boosting. We had that a couple of times. First time Volvo replaced the very expensive turbo. Second time I stripped the turbo and cleaned the dirty vanes which was all that was required. I think we also had an issue with a pipe that crosses the back of the engine and corroded very quickly. Was made of mild steel it seems. Then there were the bad wiring loom connectors, the badly fitted water hoses, the failed crack angle sensor, the ...... You get the idea.

I am guessing here, but if you have bridged power to the panel, is there power going to the rest of the engine? Comms errors could be that some other part of the electronics is not getting power. Tacho reading 0 hours might also indicate a comms issue to the ECM, but I assume the fault codes come from the ECM? Maybe the ECM has more than one power feed?

Back