Logo

2000 Evinrude 9.9 how to troubleshoot starting issue

edhackem

Got a 2000 Evinrude 9.9 4 stroke model E10EVL4SSS that will not turn over by using the controls. Last year it was an intermittent problem, this year it does nothing. The motor will start by pulling the cord. I'm looking for a guideline process to troubleshoot this problem. Is it the switch in the controls, the starter, solenoid (if there is one), maybe a wiring issue--HELP!!. Can post pics if necessary.
Thx in advance--

ok opened the box and have the switch out. How to test it? it appears to have continuity when checked with a fluke. probes on terminals and push button in--that's the test?

ok opened the box and have the switch out. How to test it? it appears to have continuity when checked with a fluke. probes on terminals and push button in--that's the test?
Yes now re-install it and make sure it is lined up correctly to work. If that checks out look for a fuse on the motor.

re-installed NS switch and checked--it appears to be working correctly. button on cam lobe there's continuity-button off lobe none. This is a 9.9 kicker I use while trolling-it is wired direct to the battery. Could there be an issue with the solenoid? Where might I find a fuse in the circuit? I don't hear clicks when I tap the key. Thx--

from the parts schematic I found the only fuse shown in the starter circuit -- a 20 amp that was good. Any other suggestions--

hoping to get some advice as to how to troubleshoot this--if the NS switch is not working, could you start the motor with the pull cord and key in run position? It will start this way after a few pulls and start right up after running. The keyed ignition switch--how to test this? It also acts as the choke-when starting push in and turn right to choke and crank starter. Or the solenoid? How to jump across to bypass. Any help is appreciated--

On the solenoid are 2 small terminals. With the key turned to start you should have 12 volts there. If not its the key switch circuit and if you do it could be the solenoid.

Yes you can start the engine via the pull cord with the key in the ON/RUN position.

The "Fuel Primer Solenoid"... Manual mode = turn the RED lever so it faces away from the solenoid. Now, when you press the fuel primer bulb (and when the engine is running), fuel will flow thru the solenoid into the intake manifold to prime the engine. BE SURE to turn that RED lever back so that it faces the other end of the solenoid after the engine starts as that facing away position will flood the engine.

The neutral safety switch is usually a little flakey so to speak... and simply loosening the screws ever so slightly, just enough to allow you to slide it closer to the cam that presses against it... and doing so usually corrects the problem.

Testing it is just a matter of making sure you have 12v at the "B" (battery) terminal of the ignition switch... and that same 12v at the "S" (solenoid) terminal of the ignition switch when in the START position... which should allow that 12v to be now flowing thru the neutral safety switch (check it).

By the same token, if everything else is okay, the engine should be cranking over when in the START position.

Let us know what you find.

Back