Logo

First post

Jake01

Hi guys.

i am new to boating and new to forums so please bear with me.
i have just purchased a honda 2.5hp 4 stroke outboard engine and one of the gaskets has failed and is leaking oil. To access the the bolts to replace the gasket I need to take off the bottom cover and I have no idea how this is done. Any help would be much appreciated.

chees guys

Hi Jake,
I looked on boats.net to see if I could see some parts blow up depictions of your engine but found they only list a 2.3hp outboard. Are you positive you have a 2.5?

I'm by no means an expert and don't know all the models made. Hopefully someone else here may be able to help you.

If you do have a 2.3 though it seems you are describing oil coming from the oil case.
Judging from the parts pages on boats.net, it looks as if a lot of disassembly would be needed to remove that part. It seems, from looking at all the pieces, you approach it from the top of the outboard because the mounting bolt heads are on the inside of the case. Which would mean removing the pull starter, fan cover and, possibly, the side oil cover to gain access.

Again, I'm no expert and this is speculation on my part from looking at the depictions.
I have never worked on a 2.3.

If you go to boats.net you can see for yourself.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the reply mate, yeah my bad it is a 2.3hp. I have taking apart all you have mentioned but to access the bolts which are underneath it does seem I need to remove the bottom casing. Didn’t want to start taking off the shaft if I didn’t have to lol. I’ll have a look at the website you mentioned. Appreciate the help thanks a lot

You need to remove the complete power head and then you will have what looks like a lawn
mower engine which you will be able to work on with ease

Back