Logo

1997 5.7L 350XL Fuel Injected, Full Fresh Water Cooled

Lebowski

Update on starboard engine, one last attempt at diagnosis before pulling engine to save time and labor. Head gasket on 1,3,5 and 7 was bad, had a open area between 3 and 5. Replaced head gasket and engine will start up easily and idle, exhaust manifolds were getting hot 180 range so I shut off engine and allowed to cool for a period of time. Checked coolant at thermostat cap, coolant was not visible so began to fill with 50/50 mixture and it took 1.75 gallons to fill to top. After starting engine again at idle rpm for 5-8 min I noticed the exhaust manifolds were beginning to get hot again. Checked coolant level again and once again its not visible. No evidence of coolant in bilge or in the oil, collected water from exhaust into clear container to see if coolant was escaping through exhaust. Exhaust water was clear after allowing to sit couple min, was kind of white at first. What temp should exhaust manifolds be at idle, using a laser thermal gun to measure. The cooling system is "Full Fresh Water Cooling"

Checked coolant level again and once again its not visible.

Ayuh,..... It's goin' Somewhere,.....

Abit of coolant, mixin' with the exhausted raw water, probably wouldn't be enough to color it,.....

Could be the heat exchanger, or the manifold/ riser gaskets, if the manifolds are on the fresh water side,....

If it's goin' through a cylinder, that spark plug will be as clean as new,.....

I would think the manifolds would be fairly cool, idling,....

Are the manifolds on the fresh water side, or the raw water side,..??

Exhaust manifolds are on the fresh water circuit, considered a "full fresh water" cooling system. "half fresh water" cooling would mean exhaust manifolds are on raw water circuit????

Back