Logo

Mercruiser, 383 Mag Stroker Inboard

I have a Mercruiser 383 Stroker pushing a 19' Glastron with a Berkeley Jet Pump. Water pickup for motor in thru the hull and not from the Jet. Motor has about 26 hours on it over last two summers. No issues till now.

At the end of the season last year the coupling for the water line going to the starboard exhaust riser separated.

0FDF4E86-364A-427D-8322-9C1D796C6BBE.jpeg

This was just after I launched and on open, clean water. I took it back to the shop that installed the motor and they replaced with new part. Same as OEM. Ran diagnostics on their computer and no issues found. Did not test on the open water.

Took to another shop to test on open water for second opinion and to test on open water. They checked it out. Looked good. Tested on water and new coupling separated again. They decided that the design on the coupling was weak. So they replaced both starboard and port side with different coupling.
This is the Merc 22-862210A01

hblBKAZNuYesMJaVobhMdOX1mscfZPqjcFL5vYb B2hM6XZ4OUSBAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Did not have time to water test this setup as winter was upon us. Been resting in barn ever since. Was looking on forum to see if I could find someone with same issue. Didn't find this one so posting to see if anyone has seen this issue. I hope the new elbows do the job but seems weird. One guess I had was that I put Gibson mufflers 310002 on it to quiet it down. Could they put enough back pressure on the exhaust system to do this. I shot email off to Gibson. They did not answer.

gib-310002_ml.jpg

the coupling for the water line going to the starboard exhaust riser separated.

Ayuh,.... Which coupler, where,..??

I'm Guessin' you have thru-hulls, right off the manifolds/ risers,..??

Ayuh,..... I haven't dealt with that style,......

Every one I see has just brass elbow barbs, or a hose barb fittin' with a drain in it,....

That is a diverter. It has a check ball in it, it is part of the central drain system. I would be removing your dry joint exhaust elbows and make sure you do not have a blockage. I have seem 30 PSI in these engines from blockage and never saw a diverter come apart.

Why no supply from jet pump? I mean it would really simplify the entire cooling system and plumbing. You could dispense with the raw water pump, the circulating pump and you would need only the two hoses going from thermostat housing to the exhaust manifolds and even those you could swap in hard lines with -AN fittings so you would have no hoses at all. CP Performance has the -AN thermostat housing and the -AN water inlets for the block.

You would also have a simpler belt setup since you need only to spin the alternator.

Last edited:
I can't answer you on the why. This set up was put together by a father/son boat shop over in Severna Park, MD. The original motor was drawing water from the jet pump. With the new motor they wanted the pickup through the transom. Changing the current set back to the jet is more than I can do. Pulling the exhaust manifold, checking it out for blockages and putting it back together is doable. Couple of new gaskets and some time. Boat is in Clarion, PA and I'm in DC area. Organizing repairs with a shop up there from here is PIA.

Hoping that Chris of Dock Side Marine Services is right. If I can find and remove the blockage I'm going to be pumped. Thinking about putting a filter (like a forespar water strainer) on the water intake hose to catch stuff early on.

Back