Logo

Electrical malfunction on BF40a

PatrickAK

Hi Guys,

I was pulling up a shrimp pot with a single, 2003 BF 40a this weekend, idling as I was pulling up the pot. I shut the motor off afterward and went to fire it up again and no response. I then replaced the main fuse, it ran fine for a while, then I noticed the gauges died (motor running but no electrical). Fortunately got home with it before the battery drained. The main fuse looks fine and I now hear clicking when I try to start it and run trim tabs, but no action. Any suggestions? Thx in advance for any assistance....Patrick

Oh yea, I should clarify that I was using a small pot puller that obviously draws a few too many amps for an idling bf40a. Patrick

My guess is that you have a bad battery. Or, you have a bad connection. Fully charge the battery with cables diconnected. While it's charging, disconnect the positive cable at the starter and clean the connections to a shine. Do the same where the negative cable connects to the engine block. Reconnect everything, install the battery and see if it cranks and starts. If it doesn't, you might want to have the battery load tested.

The charge coil on the BF 40 A is rated at around 10 amps...just enough to replenish the battery after starting and possibly running a couple of lights. It can't pick up the load of something that draws more current like a 90 or 110 amp alternator will. So the battery has to take up the slack.

If you've had that battery for a time it's likely you may have run it low too many times.
You can take it to an auto parts store and have it tested. If it tests ok then further testing on the boat's electrical system will need to be performed.

Good luck

Thanks much for the reply! Yes, after some hunting around on the various terminals, the culprit was a loose connection. Seems that is often times the case in these circumstances. Thanks again!

My guess is that you have a bad battery. Or, you have a bad connection. Fully charge the battery with cables diconnected. While it's charging, disconnect the positive cable at the starter and clean the connections to a shine. Do the same where the negative cable connects to the engine block. Reconnect everything, install the battery and see if it cranks and starts. If it doesn't, you might want to have the battery load tested.

The charge coil on the BF 40 A is rated at around 10 amps...just enough to replenish the battery after starting and possibly running a couple of lights. It can't pick up the load of something that draws more current like a 90 or 110 amp alternator will. So the battery has to take up the slack.

If you've had that battery for a time it's likely you may have run it low too many times.
You can take it to an auto parts store and have it tested. If it tests ok then further testing on the boat's electrical system will need to be performed.

Good luck

That's great! I'm glad you found it and it didn't cost anything but a little time. Marine connections are just more problematic than most.

Have a fun summer!

Back