Logo

intake manifold info

Farfrumnormal

On the starboard side of the intake manifold near the base of the carburetor is a bolted on plate (almost diamond shape). It has another 2 open holes in it. When the engine is running a little bit of water spits out of it and when the engine warms up there is steam. What is that plate called and is this normal? On a mercruiser alpha one. Also we found the electric fuel had been replaced with one that is not in the motor, and they wired it to the coil. I understand that is not correct wiring. Where should that be wired to? My power trim works with the down switch but not the up, BUT the trailer switch does raise it up. Could this be in the switch or the trim control, or?

Thank you

Last edited:
Engine serial number, size and year of boat.....UGH!

Trim limit switch on outdrive bad = no trim up with button

Electric fuel pump should get switched 12V power but should be fused circuit. In addition, if not equipped, the addition of a low oil pressure safety switch is recommended. There are wiring diagrams on line for you to reference, but you should be looking for power on the switched side of the main solenoid that supplies "run" voltage to the engine. Use marine-grade wiring and adhesive lined crimp terminals. Genuinedealz.com has them. Dunno about this mystery block-off plate. Need a picture of it.

001.jpg

1990 engine serial number OD378740
MCM 4.3 Liter 262 CID

I want to know about Mercruiser because I like to learn :eek: My Dad taught me about cars YEARS ago, he recently passed away but I'm still daddy's girl and he said if your going to own it you learn how to fix it. :rolleyes:

Thank you all for your help!

1.... On the starboard side of the intake manifold near the base of the carburetor is a bolted on plate (almost diamond shape). It has another 2 open holes in it. When the engine is running a little bit of water spits out of it and when the engine warms up there is steam. What is that plate called and is this normal? On a mercruiser alpha one.

2..... Also we found the electric fuel had been replaced with one that is not in the motor, and they wired it to the coil. I understand that is not correct wiring. Where should that be wired to?

My power trim works with the down switch but not the up, BUT the trailer switch does raise it up. Could this be in the switch or the trim control, or?

Thank you

1.... In your photograph, just to the left or starboard side of the carburetor platform, is a cover for what used to be for a helix apparatus that operated the carburetor’s choke.
The passage within the intake manifold was an exhaust crossover passage for any pre-Vortec engine.

There should be no water of any kind in this area, be it Merc, Volvo Penta, OMC or any other GM engine!

It could be that water somehow got into this area, and then as it heated up, it squirted out and then became steam towards the end!
Try replacing that gasket and plate with one that does not have the two holes in it!
Also, try to find the source of water that may have gotten to this area!

2.... An electric fuel pump can be mounted off-engine.
It must be powered via a circuit that is interrupted by a N/O low oil pressure switch in the absence of engine oil pressure.
N/O = normally open.
This also creates the need for a "start-bi-pass" circuit.

Last edited:
Awesome! Thank you. Found out my kid ran a hose over the top of the motor because of the mouse **** all over. So there is how the water got in. I will be replacing that plate with a solid one.

Awesome! Thank you. Found out my kid ran a hose over the top of the motor because of the mouse **** all over. So there is how the water got in. I will be replacing that plate with a solid one.

OK..... if that's the case, there is no need to replace the plate.

However, you need to correct the fuel pump wiring as per my previous post!

Last edited:
Using the correct intake manifold gaskets will negate the need to fool with the choke thingy. The proper gaskets have block-off plates for the exhaust cross over passage that will seal off any gasses getting into that area. Even if you were to get water/oil/beer/sunscreen lotion/whatever inside that little hole it'll do no harm it's just a extraneous fitting that's not used.
Out hosts sell the correct parts you need to get you back on plane.

Hey Rick, where did you come up with "helix apperatus"? LMAO!! A bimetal spring would live in there to operate an automatic choke. If the present setup uses an electric choke the heat well can remain dormant.

Hey Rick, where did you come up with "helix apperatus"? LMAO!! A bimetal spring would live in there to operate an automatic choke. If the present setup uses an electric choke the heat well can remain dormant.

OMG..........Right!!!!

Mr Wizard/know it all..............Just has to chime in on almost every single post...........add his one cent and hope the OP gets down on their knees and gives him praise for his "expert" knowledge...........or lack there of!

Current set up for almost all Two BBL carbs is electric choke. Dont feel like looking up when they converted......The Rochester 4BBL and I believe the Weber still used the "Helix Apperatus" thingy...............

Last edited:
Hey Rick, where did you come up with "helix apperatus"? LMAO!!
As I said earlier:
In your photograph, just to the left or starboard side of the carburetor platform, is a cover for what used to be for a helix apparatus that operated the carburetor’s choke.
You and Jack may be too young to remember when a bi-metal clock-works type coil spring was coined a "helix"! It was used to mechanically close/open the carburetor's choke plate by way of heat!
The idea that you may not be familiar with the term "helix", does not negate the use of it by others!

A bimetal spring would live in there to operate an automatic choke.
Yes..... but rather than living there now, it has been abandoned, and the well (or as Bill said "choke stove") has been blocked off!

If the present setup uses an electric choke the heat well can remain dormant.
Precisely .... and no one said any differently!
Go back and take another look at the OP's image. You can clearly see that a plate has been installed over the heat well. You can also clearly see that it has been there for quite some time!

bla bla bla bla bla bla and more bla bla bla.

Current set up for almost all Two BBL carbs is electric choke. Dont feel like looking up when they converted......The Rochester 4BBL and I believe the Weber still used the "Helix Apperatus" thingy...............
Staying in step with Jack's MO....... that is useless info for the OP!

The two of you need to put your eye glasses on before you post.

eye glasses .jpg

Farfrumnormal, I am sorry that you had to wade through the disruptions by those two members. It is uncalled for!

Good luck reinstalling the intake manifold, and have fun once you get it back up and running.

Last edited:

The two of you need to put your eye glasses on before you post.

View attachment 20181

Farfrumnormal, I am sorry that you had to wade through the disruptions by those two members. It is uncalled for!

Good luck reinstalling the intake manifold, and have fun once you get it back up and running.

You make posts that SUCK

Too long, too wrong and are so F'N difficult to read through with your colors and acronyms and flat out BULLSH!T.

Just stay away............................................play in the Swedish fish forum where you belong.

Back