Logo

volvo penta 5.7 gsi hard start when warm

my2boys

Hi i have volvo penta 5.7 gsi runs great starts right up idles fine plenty of power no hesitation .
after running it for a while . only way to start is to put neutral
and move throttle forward. it will start right up and idle fine .and take off with no issue . plugs, wires,cap ,fuel filter have been done . I'm thinking a leaking tbi injector causing it to flood a little? Any thoughts .Thanks

Hi i have volvo penta 5.7 gsi runs great starts right up idles fine plenty of power no hesitation .
after running it for a while . only way to start is to put neutral
and move throttle forward. it will start right up and idle fine .and take off with no issue . plugs, wires,cap ,fuel filter have been done . I'm thinking a leaking tbi injector causing it to flood a little? Any thoughts . Thanks

Based solely on your description (needing to shift into neutral), note that your neutral safety switch must be "closed" in order to activate the starter motor's solenoid circuit.
In other words, you need to be in neutral in order to start the engine!

It starts fine in neutral . only when warmed up do you have to move the throttle forward in neutral . to get started other wise it will just crank and not start. Thanks

You didn't post a serial number so I don't know which 5.7 gsi you have and that can make a difference. But I'm guessing MEFI because you say TBI. But you don't say what fuel pump setup you have. Might want to check fuel pressure.
If your worried about the injectors you can watch them while your having the problem. Be careful, it can be dangerous running the engine without the flame arrestor. If you want to get a good look at the spray pattern -- hook a timing light up to the big wire between the coil and distributor and shine that at the injectors while cranking and running.
Another thing is the ECM might be seeing the wrong temp, but you need a scan tool to check that.

its a 2000 fourwinns 248 vista .the motor being replaced in 2016. it has the duel fuel pumps .i checked the pressure this weekend and the low side read 15 psi. i checked the injectors and they seem to be fine no dripping after shutting down nice spray when running. . so maybe ecm is not seeing the correct temp. or someone was telling me vapor lock ? Thanks for any help.

Still don't know if you have a 2000 engine with a new long block or a 2016 engine. There might be a difference.

Your service manual will list the ohm's reading at various temperatures if you want to check that without a scan tool. Vapor lock on the fuel system I'm guessing you have is very rare unless the cooling water to it is plugged up. Might want to check water flow thru the fuel cell. What is the fuel high pressure?

Back