Logo

Suzuki DT8 water pump

ElvinRude

Hi everyone, new to the site. I should say that I have been working on my own inboard and outboard boat engines for over 30 years, but this is the first little Suzuki I've ever owned.
I got the boat with a stopped up carb barely running on choke. First step was carb clean, and new fuel tank. Someone had previously taken the oil injection tank off the engine and has been pre-mixing the fuel. No problem. I got her cranked and running fine. Only thing is, it's not pumping water out of the tell tale, or the exhaust port. So I shut it down, pulled the thermostat and sprayed water through the bypass to see if it is going all the way through the system. It is coming out of the exhaust and the water intake above the prop, so it is clear. I tried it again, and still no water pumping at any engine speed.
I then replaced the water pump impeller with a new one. Slightly lubed with Sil Glide, and installed with a clockwise rotation of the input shaft. I will say that when I pulled the old impeller out, one of the vanes was pointing in the opposite direction, but the impeller didn't look too bad.
Once it's all back together and running in a barrel, I was expecting to see a nice stream of water coming from the tell tale tube(which is clean), but I barely get a dribble out of it. I can rev the engine and get more flow from the water port, and until it is coming out of the exhaust port. It still isn't a steady stream like I am used to seeing out of most of my outboard engines. Even with it revved up what is coming out of the exhaust isn't that strong.
The water pump plate, and cup look fine with no scratching or grooving in them. I know the thermostat begins to open around 130F from putting it in a pot of hot water using an infrared thermometer for reference. The head seems to get warmer than I am used to from a water cooled outboard engine, but that may just be me.
Are these engines supposed to have a steady flow of water from the water port at low speeds?

Back