Logo

8m0054588

abl1111

Regular Contributor
2003 ~ 350/300 5.7L Mag MPI Horizon with 1000 hours:

Mercruiser Ignition looks like hell, the heat disipating portion is real rusty ( its mounted near the I/O motor box 'seam' and it's gotten wet over the years from heavy rain ).

It works, but I'd rather replace it now than later.

QUESTION -

These are $$$. Is there an equivalent manufacturer for these ? i.e. a company that mercruiser sources from that sells for less or just the same quality.

Mercruiser's pricing on their bolt on parts is disgusting. I had to replace a heat exchanger last year and my butts still hurts !

Thx

These are $$$. Is there an equivalent manufacturer for these ?

Nope,..... The accepted work around is to pull the T-bolt, 'n drop in a Delco Voyager ignition system,.....

The Delco "Kit" is reasonably priced, compared to the T-bolt,.....

This isn't a Thunderbolt engine. Don't think a Delco EST distributor will talk to the ECM 555 that runs this engine. If you google that part number you can find a "will fit" for less than 1/3 the Mercury price. But I will warn you. These ECM/PCM engines can be a little touchy when it comes to non OEM fuel and EFI parts. Don't throw away your old one if it still works, you might need to switch back to it when weird things start cropping up.

When it comes to ignition stuff, I would never switch from OEM unless I knew that others had done so with "0" problems. Mine works fine, I just don't like the look of the exterior of it. I find with any ignition parts, cars, etc - keep it OEM, or swap entire system out for an upgrade, but don't mix and match...

considering the dist is just the HVS and dies nothing but distribute the spark to the dist cap , whats the exact issue?
the ecm does all the work and usually mid mounted on the engine.
Best to post a pic of the engine cause something is wrong with the info you poted

Last edited:
Not sure how the distributor got into this, the part number is for a coil/ignition control module that MerCruiser sells as one part.

When it comes to ignition stuff, I would never switch from OEM unless I knew that others had done so with "0" problems. Mine works fine, I just don't like the look of the exterior of it. I find with any ignition parts, cars, etc - keep it OEM, or swap entire system out for an upgrade, but don't mix and match...

I agree with you.

@abl1111 when I ran this part number through the reverse look up it came up as only being used on Reman, Quicksilver and crate engines, but I would swear that I've seen the coil used on stearndrive and inboard engines. Is your engine a replacement engine. Or is there a glitch in my reverse look up?

Back