Logo

Dart SHP SBC

Bracker

Has anyone had any first hand experience with the Dart SHP SBC? Would it be possible to configure that block to deliver 400 lb ft in the 2500-3200 rpm range with compression of 10:1 or less? Calling RicardoMarinešŸ˜-Gentry

I have no first hand experience with the Dart SHP cylinder block.

My thoughts are.... if you are willing to spend that much $$ on a build, build a 6.2L or 6.3L version with a good Q/E.
6.2L = 377 cu in (std bore)..... 6.3L = 383 cu in (.030" over bore)

A tight quench dimension will allow for more ignition TA (at the proper RPM) and will allow for a much better LPCP (location of peak cylinder pressure)
LPCP at/near 12* to 14* ATDC is what makes torque.

Add to that the increased stroke (from 3.480" to 3.750"), and you should have a good torque producing SBC engine.

Stick with the 5.7" rods, keeping the piston skirts longer.

Give your build info to a good camshaft company, and ask for a cam profile recommendation.

That said, I would be looking for torque at closer to 3,200 to 3,600 RPM.

Thank you for the reply! I know that block can be built up to a 427 or 454. I want to overbuild it (component wise) in order to deliver big low rpm power without sacrificing too much in the way of longevity and reliabity. Iā€™m repowering a 23 SeaCraft Sceptre IB V-Drive to be used offshore. That model was originally equipped with a Mercury 350 5.7 but was a subpar performer.

Thank you for the reply! I know that block can be built up to a 427 or 454. I want to overbuild it (component wise) in order to deliver big low rpm power without sacrificing too much in the way of longevity and reliabity. Iā€™m repowering a 23 SeaCraft Sceptre IB V-Drive to be used offshore. That model was originally equipped with a Mercury 350 5.7 but was a subpar performer.

In order to achieve anywhere near 400+ cu in (with the 3.750ā€ stroke) that cylinder block would be a 400 cu in replacement block.
The 400 SBC bore begins at 4.125ā€.
This means Siamese cylinders!

I would not suggest doing that!

Back