Logo

1967 johnson 40 hp goes up on plane then stalls

gtfan

any body out there have any ideas what to try? i have replaced the fuel hose n bulb so far n thats it. runs in a barrel of water never took it out on a lake yet to try it under load

Explain.-------How does it get up on plane in a barrel ?--------What is the compression on it ?-----Have you checked for spark on both leads ?

Maybe that's just what the seller told him and he's only tried it in a barrel so far. It's going to be a fuel supply issue possibly a fuel pump like Gator mentions. Those O-rings can easily be replaced on the coupling. The OEM couplings are way better than the new junk.

any body out there have any ideas what to try? i have replaced the fuel hose n bulb so far n thats it. runs in a barrel of water never took it out on a lake yet to try it under load
the boat has been in the family since new. i tried it late last season in the water. thats when it stalled once on plane. Since then replaced ball n fuel hose and only tried it in a barrel after that. Ice just went off the lakes here so i am planning to try it on the water soon. am gonna replace fuel pump b 4 i take it out next. thanks for the ideas i appreciate them and any other ideas

Has it ever had 2 new coils installed ?-------If not it likely needs a set.------How about a water pump impeller ?

back with my 1967 johnson 40 hp. misses and sputters . runs on partial choke on ok. replaced fuel pump . still only runs good on partial choke. thinking carb dirty or varnished up? anybody agree? or any other ideas? Thanks for any help

Back