Logo

3.0 water getting into starter

Stingray305

Hello I have a penta 3.0 and salt water keeps getting into the starter causing it to rust and sieze up. I have replaced the starter completely and it just happened after only a few short trips. I know have the starter cleaned up and working again but I need to figure out how the water is getting in. Any idea on where to start looking? I found a good article on iboatforum that said check the exhaust risers for leaking but I don't know where those are. Maybe some one has a picture that could help me. Thanks.

Ayuh,..... Have a friend drive yer boat, while You look at it as yer goin',.....

The exhaust manifold is the big thing on the other side of the motor, that connects to the exhaust down-pipe at the transom, 'n has the carb bolted to the middle of it,.....
The intake, 'n exhaust manifolds are built tight together,.....

Thanks for tip. I found a small hole in the exhaust bellows today. I decided to pull the riser off as well and instead that. Here's some pics I took...
mc8nN4aFsweEhN6GA

Last edited:
Yes would replace the elbow (riser) and problem the manifold

exhaust belows leak leak isn't going to leak water into the boat as the exhaust is full of water anyways. It's open to the prop hub. Or do you mean the down pipe is rotten and leaking at transom plate

Back