Logo

Help, Evinrude leaking exhaust oil......

cjbrill715

Regular Contributor
I have a 92 25 hp evinrude that is oozing/leaking black, watery exhast oil through the spongey seal betwwen the lower engine cover and the exhast/mid section housing.....My question is, is it supposed to do that?....It's running down the mid section from a seal that resembles a sponge..... the seal is about a quarter inch thick.

Definitely shouldn't see fluid leaking from there.

Are you sure it's exhaust oil? Maybe you have a fuel leak in a carb and the gas is evaporating leaving the oil and that's what is dripping through the lower cover gaskets?

Definitely shouldn't see fluid leaking from there.

Are you sure it's exhaust oil? Maybe you have a fuel leak in a carb and the gas is evaporating leaving the oil and that's what is dripping through the lower cover gaskets?

Could be....I guess im just going to play it safe and take it to a local marine service shop...Thanks for the input.

Before you take it to the shop pull off the engine cover then pump the primer bulb until firm. Use a flash light and look all over for leaks out of the carbs, fuel pump, and hoses. If there’s a leak in the fuel system it’s an easy fix. If not it sounds like maybe the base gasket on the engine is leaking? That will at least give you an idea what’s going on so you can give the mechanic accurate info on the problem.

Before you take it to the shop pull off the engine cover then pump the primer bulb until firm. Use a flash light and look all over for leaks out of the carbs, fuel pump, and hoses. If there’s a leak in the fuel system it’s an easy fix. If not it sounds like maybe the base gasket on the engine is leaking? That will at least give you an idea what’s going on so you can give the mechanic accurate info on the problem.

Ok, I'll try that. Thanks. I'm thinking it is the gasket between the power head and the inner exhaust tube, (Same thing as base gasket?) being that the leakage is really black and sooty. My oil kinda comes off as green colored. But, that's worth checking though.

Back