Logo

Volvo D9 rocker arm / valve adjust ?

Viking-boater

I have 2006 Volvo D9 500HPs. User manual shows at 1000 hrs that the 24 rocker arms / valve adjustments is required. I think the lifters in all D series are hydraulic like car engines. As hydraulic lifters self adjust to take up any slack, why is this adjustment required ? The solon floor in my Carver Voyager 46 is too close to the valve train cover and it can't be removed without cutting huge holes in the solon floor plus cutting several aluminum floor supports. This would be a very big undertaking.

I have 2006 Volvo D9 500HPs. User manual shows at 800 hrs that the 24 rocker arms / valve adjustments is required. I think the lifters in all D series are hydraulic like car engines. As hydraulic lifters self adjust to take up any slack, why is this adjustment required ? The solon floor in my Carver Voyager 46 is too close to the valve train cover and it can't be removed without cutting huge holes in the solon floor plus cutting several aluminum floor supports. This would be a very big undertaking.

[FONT=&quot]Done some more research. It does NOT have hydraulic lifters. The D9 engine is an overhead cam system with NO lifters or push rods. The roller rocker arms are in direct contact with cam shaft lobs. There is an adjustment on the other end of the rocker arm. The rocker arm then pushes on a yoke that activates two valves. This is a 24 valve system. Volvo requires this check/adjustment every 800 hrs. They no longer require every 12 months. Looks like I need to get the K12 saw out and remove the solon floor ! Thank you very much Carver Yachts !!![/FONT]

Back