Logo

Alpha 1 Gen 1 Reinstall

clueless

Hi Folks-
I just rebuilt my Alpha 1 Gen 1 water pump. But.... I can't get the lower unit back on to save my life! All the studs are lined up and are in and actually almost poking through their holes. It's as if the drive shaft or shifter isn't lining up. It stops hard, about 1" away from the mating surface.
Help!
Thanks!

is the upper shoe connected to the lower splined shaft, dont force it
If the control box and lower unit in forward gear
Needs to be in forward gear to turn the prop CCW to line up the driveshaft splines

Thanks for the response Doc.
I don't think the shaft gets into the its mating part (shoe?). I've not felt anything that feels like that sliding up into a female mating part. I look up in there and there looks to be an o-ring loose, will it slide in place as things go together?
I think i have it in forward. I put the remote in drive in full forward before disassembly. Then I wasn't sure if something moved so i found a youtube that said to turn the part in the lower drive fully CCW to get the prop to lock up in the CCW direction.
Thanks for your help!l

the lower splined shaft goes clockwise and the prop locks CCW
you must physically connect the lower splined shaft into the upper brass shoe.

Last edited:
Yes, i have a Seloc manual, it's not great on this though. Super general, tries to cover too many years and types of drives. It's for '66 - '92...
I'll check out the link you sent.
Thanks again!

Back