Logo

Alternator noise

Brownie289

Contributing Member
The alternator on my port crusader 350 model engine will squeal or whine when under a load, only for a few moments then goes away. It’s quiet when at idle.

What causes this?

Thanks!

I had a consistent squeal for a few seconds at startup on one of model CH270s. Then one day the squeal didn't stop. I couldn't tell if it was the alternator or the circulating pump, and on my engine, both are driven by the same belt. Since it's easier to remove, I took the alternator to a shop that tests them, and it ran quiet as can be. I put the alternator back on, and got a new circulating pump. Since it was the port engine on a straight inboard setup (in other words standard CCW rotation) and closed cooling system, I got an aftermarket automotive water pump and it's been running fine for several years.

What is strange to me is it’s loud only under a load. If I am at idle and use an electric item it starts to squeal.

If there's no load, it's just along for the ride, put a load on it, it goes to work,.....

Did you check, 'n change the belt,..??

If it's worn enough to run at the bottom of the groove, no amount of tightening is gonna fix it,....

If there's no load, it's just along for the ride, put a load on it, it goes to work,.....

Did you check, 'n change the belt,..??

If it's worn enough to run at the bottom of the groove, no amount of tightening is gonna fix it,....

Thanks It's working! Belt ok..

With the engine running and while it is making noise; safely hold a DRY bar of soap against the belt to coat it. if the noise stops its the belt.

Back