Logo

Temperature switch for temp light rather than a gauge.

copelandg

I have continued struggles finding a replacement temp switch for a 1963 221 ford interceptor. Repeated attempt result in a sending unit for a temp gauge and not a temp light...ie. a good old fashioned idiot light.

I have waded through this problem with multiple parts stores and inevitably end up buying the wrong part.

Any ideas or advise on a good source for the old and original temp switch?

A temperature gauge is invaluable, and will allow you to see when/if temperature begins to climb.
An idiot light only tells you when temp has reached a dangerous level.
Why not accompany a good gauge with an idiot light?

Ayuh,.... So long as the thread size is the same, any temp switch will work,....

Thread size in not a problem...standard stuff.

My experience is no one can supply an actual switch. I have purchased 4 different units now. All screw in fine, but send a continuous current that gets stronger with temp rise. Correct unit will only send current when too hot.

Any recommendations on a source for an actual switch?

A temperature gauge is invaluable, and will allow you to see when/if temperature begins to climb.
An idiot light only tells you when temp has reached a dangerous level.
Why not accompany a good gauge with an idiot light?

I understand your point. Better information with a gauge.

Was thinking to keep original.

Thoughts on upgrading to a gauge and how that affects originality of the boat. 63 Thompson/ChrisCraft Sea Skiff

Thread size in not a problem...standard stuff.

My experience is no one can supply an actual switch. I have purchased 4 different units now. All screw in fine, but send a continuous current that gets stronger with temp rise. Correct unit will only send current when too hot.

Any recommendations on a source for an actual switch?

I'd bet the four you were sold are sending units for gauges....they have a thermistor inside so the current they will pass veries with temp.

switches aren't that hard to find....try search 200 deg fan switch....last one I saw on am 0 zon was under $10 and had a few adapters with it.

I'd bet the four you were sold are sending units for gauges....they have a thermistor inside so the current they will pass veries with temp.

switches aren't that hard to find....try search 200 deg fan switch....last one I saw on am 0 zon was under $10 and had a few adapters with it.

If it's any help, chriscraft FLV 283 ( 185 HP 283 CID SBC, circa 1969) had such a switch. For what its worth, I think an idiot light plus a temp gauge is best. If only one, then I prefer a gauge. Sometimes an engine will run slightly hotter, below idiot light set point indicating a degradation before a failure.

Re: "Thoughts on upgrading to a gauge and how that affects originality of the boat. 63 Thompson/ChrisCraft Sea Skiff " Unless you are restoring to museum quality I doubt it will make much difference. A hedge would be to mount this and any other gauges (oil pressure??? My Lancer had idiot lights for oil and temp) on a bracket where you can see it but won't mess up the dash. My Lancer is what the car buffs call a "Resto Mod"... i.e., restored but selectively upgraded. You never get your $$ back out of these boats. Fix it carefully and in a craftsmanship manner and ENJOY it. BTW... that SeaSkiff was my dream "back in the day".

Last edited:
Back