Logo

2003 M8b turns boat hard right

ba_50

Regular Contributor
It is on a 14 ft alum boat and there isn't any trim tab or adjustment that I can see. The manual doesn't have any suggestions.

What can be done about it?
Thank you

Looks like on the older M8B models there wasn't a trim tab and was just an anode. But on later models, the anode was replaced with a trim tab (which also functions as an anode). So shouldn't be any reason you couldn't purchase the trim tab and replace the anode with the trim tab. Look in later parts books to find the part number for the M8B trim tab or call your local dealer and they should be able to find the part number and get it for you.

I called Tohatsu and they said it wouldn't work because they are different gear cases. So why is it doing this? My 8hp Evinrude doesn't have a tab and tracks straight. He recommended a torque tamper but a search didn't help.

I did find the torque tamer on Amazon. Paul, are you sure the tab you mentioned will work? You probably know more about it then the parts guys.

The trim tab/anode WILL work. The LU is the same type of casting. On the newer 4-strokes, they sometimes have the round anode AND the anode/trim tab. You may need to trim the pointed edge of the trim tab anode to get it to seat correctly. You can also add a skeg-mounted "torque tamer", but they are usually not needed.

Hi

Is this the one you were talking about? The arrow and anode will need to be ground off to fit.

I am wondering if just the bolt will hold it into position.

Attachments

• 20191017_125530_resize_26.jpg
    20191017_125530_resize_26.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 20191017_125522_resize_17.jpg
    20191017_125522_resize_17.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 27
Probably be just fine. Use some never seize on the stainless bolt, so it doesn't corrode into the aluminum housing.

Back