Logo

Water intake or crack?

Hey guys, i have a 87 mercury 115hp, boat hasnt been in water since 2013, so i never couldnget much water from the tell tale hose, so i changed the impeller and same issue still, thinking garden hose wasnt enough, i decided to put it in the water , found little water sputtering from tell tale and a bunch of water comming from just below top half of motor, wondering if maybe watertube piece inside the upper is missing or broken? Attached is pic of where i get bunch of water from, thanks for any input!

Attachments

• 593C6B58-AD90-4281-9A7E-5B34A6E098C3.jpg
    593C6B58-AD90-4281-9A7E-5B34A6E098C3.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 29
Could be the seal on your water tube inside under the power head is damaged. Or not lined up properly. Did the water tube stay in the mid section? Or did it come out with the lower unit.

When you run it on the hose. Observe when you first start it up. Does it suck in the water. Ie less water than it not running. If it sucks it up the impeller is working but if it's leaking out where you say then it's not getting to the power head .

On the garden hose it just comes out the prop and lower unit holes where shift shaft is... i used to be able to suck on the hose and get water to come out but now nothing, i only saw water that far up when it was in the water and was spitting small 4-6” stream..

if i remove those nuts just below where my arrow is , will that mid section come apart? Anything in there that could me wrong?

Don't remove that section. That holds the power head on. Just remove the lower unit again. Use a flashlight and look deep inside at the water tube. Maybe put your garden hose on just the water tube . And give it some pressure. Look and see if the water is leaking inside.

Don't remove that section. That holds the power head on. Just remove the lower unit again. Use a flashlight and look deep inside at the water tube. Maybe put your garden hose on just the water tube . And give it some pressure. Look and see if the water is leaking inside.

yes its leaking inside... how do i fix it?

Does it look like it's leaking at the seal ? Maybe pull out the water tube if you can and inspect the roundness of the tube. If it's ok. Then you will have to remove the power head to change the seal

Back