Logo

1996 OMC 5.0 electrical

boatmad1

I went to start my boat today and had enough power to power the lights and dash but didn't have enough to get it to turn over. I went to jump start it and poof lost all power.
I have checked the inline 50 amp fuse off of the batter switch and that is good. I believe I checked all the breakers and non of them would allow me to push them in so I am thinking that they are good.. ANY IDEAS???

Ayuh,..... Clean the battery cable connections,....

Both ends of Both cables,......

All the way to the starter, on the positive side, 'n to the block on the ground cable,....

I went to start my boat today and had enough power to power the lights and dash but didn't have enough to get it to turn over. I went to jump start it and poof lost all power.
I have checked the inline 50 amp fuse off of the batter switch and that is good. I believe I checked all the breakers and non of them would allow me to push them in so I am thinking that they are good.. ANY IDEAS???

In a 12 vdc system, you will have a Positive and Negative side. (there is no ground, as in Earth Ground as with AC current)

All connections, both Pos and Neg, must be very good.
Any loose connection will create resistance.
Resistance = less voltage and more amperage for the same load.
Amperage is what trips circuit breakers and blows fuses.

As Bill says; Clean the battery cable connections,.... Both ends of Both cables,......

Also, the red button circuit breaker will often require quite a bit of force to re-set.

I will try cleaning both ends. Does that solve why I had full power at the dash before I jumped the battery and now I do not? Or to clarify you believe that a breaker was popped or fuse was blown?

On the side of the engine it clearly reads OMC Cobra manufactured by Volvo pent Marine products mod # 50fapnca
for some reason I can't upload the pic or I would

Is this the first time you are starting the engine this year? In addition to the earlier suggestions, I would pull the spark plugs before engaging the starter again. It's possible that your engine is hydrolocked. Regardless, pulling the plugs will allow the starter motor to roll the engine components without fighting compression.

Also, I believe there's a restriction on new members posting pictures. Seems like after 3 or 4 posts, members can upload pics.

I will try cleaning both ends. Does that solve why I had full power at the dash before I jumped the battery and now I do not? Or to clarify you believe that a breaker was popped or fuse was blown?
I would need "hands-on" to further comment.

On the side of the engine it clearly reads OMC Cobra manufactured by Volvo Penta Marine products mod # 50fapnca
That is an incomplete engine model number. Perhaps verify and see if you can find yours here:
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-schematics-MarineGasolineEngines.aspx

Please note that Volvo Penta purchased the bankrupt company. By 1994, with the stern drives having been re-designed by Volvo Penta, the Cobra became the SX Cobra, and was now a Cone Clutch drive.
Some of the old OMC parts were used.
Some even believe that Volvo Penta entered a joint venture with OMC. I think that was to save what face was left with OMC.

Again...... if your system was manufactured in 1996, it is Volvo Penta.

for some reason I can't upload the pic or I would
I think DJR is correct.... you may need a minimum of posts prior to uploading photos.

Ayuh,..... A Bad connection can easily pass voltage, 'n then fail completely when big amperage is pushed,.....

Back