Logo

AQ131 Ignition Parts from NAPA?

djhinca

My 1986 Bayliner Capri 1950 is powered by an AQ131 (i.e., Volvo B230 engine). In preparation for the 2019 boating season, I'm planning to replace all the distributor ignition parts (cap, rotor, points capacitor). Of course, these parts are readily available from Volvo ($$$!) and Sierra($$) and since the B230 was also installed in Volvo 240, 244 autos, many of the vintage auto parts places stock equivalent parts. For example IPD in Oregon is a good reputable source. In an effort to save a few $$'s though, I'd like to use the NAPA-equivalents, as I've read here and elsewhere that they are one of the few auto parts places that carry the older Volvo parts. Here's where I'm running into some trouble. The Volvo parts diagram for the AQ131 lists the following Volvo parts numbers: Points - 243799; cap: 841263; rotor: 243903; capacitor: 841262. These numbers are not the same as those listed at IPD and NAPA for the 240/244 autos with the B230 engine. I've come to the conclusion that the 240/244's had electronic ignition and the distributor parts were different.. For example, the B230 rotor pictured at IPD is quite different than mine. I would greatly appreciate if one of the AQ guru's here could pass along the correct NAPA (Echlin) parts numbers, if in fact AQ-equivalent ignition parts are actually available from NAPA. Thanks.

Stick with the correct marine parts...... either OEM or Sierra

Not only set BASE advance, but also check the progressive and total advance.
See you OEM service manual for the specs.

Last edited:
The Pertronix kit replaces the Kettering System only (contact points) ..... it will do zero to correct any mechanical system advancing issues.
This is why I suggest not only setting BASE advance, but to also look at the Progressive and Total.

If the system does not deliver the correct progressive advance and TA, then there is an issue with the flyweight system and/or flyweight return springs.

Last edited:
I'm bumping this thread because I finally resolved the NAPA ignition parts questions for the AQ131A. Here are the Echlin parts numbers for this engine:
Points ECH CS321
Condenser ECH EP261
Rotor ECH EP278
CAP ECH EP131
These parts are all still available; total cost: ~$48.

Great to have that info for the AQ 131A guys........ thank you!

Please note that these OEM ignition distributors are prone to having rusty/corroded governing flyweight systems.
Be sure to check the flyweights and return springs, and to lubricate the system.
Make sure that the flyweights move out centrifugally, and that they fully return.

Also, be sure to not only set BASE advance, but to also look further to see what the progressive and total advance are doing!
Your OEM service or work shop manual will give you this info.

Cap needs to be marine approved, i.e. J1171 (and marked as such). And I seem to remember that the marine approved parts from Echlin start with an "a".

Cap needs to be marine approved, i.e. J1171 (and marked as such). And I seem to remember that the marine approved parts from Echlin start with an "a".

Good point. The "Marine Approved" cap (from the 2010 NAPA Marine-approved parts guide) is Echlin EP713, which according to that guide, is used in all the VP B230 equivalent marine engines, including the AQ131A. That cap retails for $70..

.... a coast guard or marine police stop and inspect could get you a ticket, and in the event of a engine compartment "event" that you and your guests experience, the insurance company won't pay.

Back