Logo

Safety Lanyards

kevinj

Advanced Contributor
I've seen videos of boats catching a wake on the chine and throwing out the driver. Also, I've seen videos of unmanned boats circling endlessly. But what I haven't seen before is one like this where the driver is floating without a PFD as the boat circles :eek:

Guys, please be sure to use your kill switch lanyard when operating your boats. This guy was very careless and tried to reach for his phone while the boat was going on plane....AND he wasn't wearing a PFD......AND he didn't use the lanyard. It's nothing short of a miracle that he's alive.

https://youtu.be/_o-aJCSxdE4

If your old Johnson/Evinrude doesn't have a lanyard, retrofit one. My old '79 9.9 just had a basic push button kill switch. I removed that and retrofitted a generic $15 kill switch that incorporates a lanyard. I haven't needed the lanyard since doing that, but I feel safer knowing it's there.

Happy boating!

Kevin

I'll second this! I was thrown out of my bay boat when I hit an underwater obstruction, and almost got run over several times before I got to shore. Luckily the prop spun when the boat got shallow and hit bottom. But I have never been so scared. Then I spent the next eight hours hoping someone would come by. Finally, a Louisiana game warden came by late that afternoon. I installed a kill switch lanyard the next day. It was easy to retrofit to my 1990 Johnson 90 hp.

Doesn't have to be a go-faster boat either. A guy got killed right out in front of the fish camp back in the '50's, with flat-bottom wood boat and a 5hp TD Johnson. He was fishing with the anchor tied to the bow eye and started the motor, forgetting the anchor was out. The boat went the length of the anchor line, which then yanked the bow around and tossed him out. The boat continued to circle the anchor and sliced him up with the prop.

My Lund has a 4.5 kicker on it because we do quite a bit of trolling , but does not have the lanyard kill switch. When I'm by myself trolling I dang well know that if I got separated from my boat I'd be in big trouble. The steering is snug enough so it would not go in circles but it'd keep on course till something stopped it which could be miles on some lakes.
Always wear a life jacket with emergency light attached just in case it's dark or getting dark.

Doesn't have to be a go-faster boat either. .
Exactly why I retrofitted my 9.9. I use that engine and a 14’ aluminum v hull to teach scouts the motor boating merit badge. I wanted to teach the boys to always use safety devices. Also, I wanted the lanyard in case the kids yanked suddenly and tossed us out of the boat. The last thing I wanted is a kid sliced by a prop.

Where is the kill switch push button on your engine?

Below is a picture similar to my 9.9. On the port side circled in red is the OEM kill switch button. I was able to remove this and replace it with a generic kill switch lanyard like the other picture below. Here is a link the one I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/SEACHOICE-11681-Universal-Kill-Switch/dp/B002MW0P5E I would have bought it from this site but I couldn't locate one.

You'll have to use an ohm meter on the new switch and find which terminals are normally open but are closed when the button is pushed or lanyard removed. Use the wires off your original kill switch and connect them to the terminals you found with your meter. This should now give you both push button and lanyard kill capabilities.

9.9switch.JPG

killswitchlanyard.JPG

Where is the kill switch push button on your engine?

Below is a picture similar to my 9.9. On the port side circled in red is the OEM kill switch button. I was able to remove this and replace it with a generic kill switch lanyard like the other picture below. Here is a link the one I purchased. https://www.amazon.com/SEACHOICE-11681-Universal-Kill-Switch/dp/B002MW0P5E I would have bought it from this site but I couldn't locate one.

You'll have to use an ohm meter on the new switch and find which terminals are normally open but are closed when the button is pushed or lanyard removed. Use the wires off your original kill switch and connect them to the terminals you found with your meter. This should now give you both push button and lanyard kill capabilities.

View attachment 20104

View attachment 20105

Awesome, I didnt think it would be that easy. Thank you for posting the information.

Here's a pic of my '79 9.9HP with the lanyard retrofit.
KillSwitch.jpg

Attachments

• KillSwitch.jpg
    KillSwitch.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 19
  • KillSwitch.jpg
    KillSwitch.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
Back