Logo

dianosis suggestions

Chip Lee

I have a 1993 150 HP Johnson Fast Strike that will idle perfectly and will get up on plane without issue. However, when I start pulling back on the throttle to slow down it will die and will not restart for a minute or so...any suggestions or has anyone else experienced or heard of this before? Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
When did it start doing this? Maybe getting worse little by little? Trigger wires? After it dies out, what is your starting procedure?

It has been about 3 months as I got frustrated about it. I made sure the bubble was primed and then tried to crank unsuccessfully. I then checked all the plug wires and small common things that weren't outside my knowledge, but I don't know alot about motors and I don't have .oney to just throw parts at it. I did take it out again the next few days thinking it may have been flooded or what not. Drained fuel system replaced with new non ethanol gas and same thing...run and died.

Last edited:
When you pull back on the throttle it should not die so that's telling me the only reasonable thing it could be would be loss of spark caused by the motion of the trigger which adjusts the timing. But over time that would consistently get worse that's why I'm asking is it getting worse over time? So your spark may check out just fine except when the throttle is in that position. So as your checking spark you might want to try wiggling the wires going to the trigger at the same time and see if it interrupts your spark. Its on the throttle linkage......2 wires. Probably about 50 or 60 bucks. I don't work on these motors that often but I'm using common sense in order to diagnose based on your symptoms.

Last edited:
Hope we can help here, Chip. There are many hundreds of years experience available.

Last edited:
Having retired in 1991, I don't know if the stator, under the flywheel, is visible on that 1993 model or not... BUT... if it is, look closely at it, particularly the rear portion of it to see If a sticky looking substance is dripping down from it onto the timer-base and powerhead.

The above scenario, if it exists indicates that the stator is experiencing a meltdown. When cold, for a unknown period of time, the stator might act normally, providing the proper amount of AC voltage to the powerpack capacitor... BUT... when hot, the voltage would drop, especially at a lower rpm which would result in weak, erratic, and eventually no voltage. ignition, spark.

When once again "cold", the stator may act normally once more... BUT... that routine does not last forever.

Let us know what you find.

You have the OIS ignition. Make sure the optical sensor is in good condition. If it is original replace it when those go bad they cause all kinds of weird issues. When were the last time the carbs were serviced.

I traded the motor for a nicer one.....it would require maintenance that's above my knowledge at the moment...thx to all that responded with tips and advice!

No, Chip, its here on record for others to check who might have a similar problem. Let us know if you need help in the future, thanks and take care.

Back