Logo

Post re rigging, '00 Ocean Pro 200 loses fuel around 3800rpm and triggers check engine light

Carlspeed

Hi guys, I got my boat re rigged over the last couple months. I took it out for the first time this weekend, and had two issues. The "no oil" light was coming on, even though it was obvious that it was getting oil due to the exhaust. Sure enough, this went away, as it was probably some type of air in the line. The other problem, which is NOT going away, is running out of fuel around 3800rpms. The check engine light also comes on for this, and goes out when I slow down. As I did not do the re rig, I have no idea what was touched, and since I know the engine was fine before, I have to think something didn't get hooked back up properly. I did have a similar issue a few years ago, which ended up being a bad bowl on the fuel water separator. I checked that this time, and it is tight with no leaks. Also, when that was an issue, the fuel didn't cut out completely like it's doing now, it was more of a surging. This, what it's doing now, is like turning a fuel switch on and off. Idle is good, but it seems a couple hundred rpm higher than I remember. Anyway, any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

'Carl

Does the primer bulb go flat? If so you probably a blocked fuel tank vent. If the bulb is okay there is probably an issue with the fuel filter.

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The bulb does not go flat, and immediately after it having done it, I opened the fuel cap to the tank and there was no hissing or anything indicating that it was blocked.

I was mistaken. I thought your 200HP has a similar fuel system like my '96 150. I've circled in red the tank that's on my system. Your 200HP looks to just have a 3/8" inline fuel filter and not tank. But, you do have a vacuum switch and if you have a fuel restriction it is possibly that sensor that is tripping your check engine light. I'd suggest changing your inline fuel filter to see if it is partially clogged.

150_Vapor_Separator.JPG

200HP-fuel-system.jpg

I apologize for never getting back to this, but I found a bad fuel line from the boat to the motor. It had collapsed, and wasn't letting enough fuel go through at mid RPM and higher. Thanks to all for the help!

Back