Logo

Fiberglass the Wood??

Toad67

So I need to rebuilt the Dog house on my 17’ runabout, so it’s probably best to fiberglass all the wood for the “waterproofing” factor? There will be a small sun deck above it and also need to refabricate the seats that use to be on each side of it.
I feel like I know the answer before even asking, just want some others input. If so, what type of cloth to use?
Thanks

If so, what type of cloth to use?

Ayuh,.... Seein's yer lookin' for waterproofing, 'n not strength, mat will work with poly resin,....

If yer usin' epoxy, I'd use something light, like say 6oz cloth,.....

So doing some searching on forums come across one where the guy was sealing his dog house and was recommended to him to use “Smith epoxy sealer (cpes), dam that stuff is expensive, be nice to seal the wood rather than dealing with the fiberglass thing but I don’t like doing things half*** either, but the smith epoxy is to expensive for me.
So with boats is wood sealer fine for wood that’s not going to have water sitting on it like example the floor? Since I’m new and learning about all this seems like fiberglass over most things would be best (does it make for an impenetrable barrier for moisture?) I just wouldn’t want things to be falling apart or looking like junk 2or3 yrs down the road.

So with boats

Ayuh,.... For most of us workin' on boats, we're dealin' with resins pretty regularly,.....

So the choice is poly resin, or epoxy resin,.....

Epoxy is more expensive, but in this case, ya get what ya pay for,....

Poly will do the job, but epoxy is stronger, 'n more forgiving,....

Ayuh,.... For most of us workin' on boats, we're dealin' with resins pretty regularly,.....

So the choice is poly resin, or epoxy resin,.....

Epoxy is more expensive, but in this case, ya get what ya pay for,....

Poly will do the job, but epoxy is stronger, 'n more forgiving,....
Thanks Bondo

Back