Logo

Replacement options/cost range for original 1991 Volvo AQ 740 A + drive

TechieTechie

Hi all,

Longtime reader, first post :)

Found a very well maintained 1991 Cobalt with an original 1991 Volvo AQ 740 + DP drive...approx 2k hours. Freshwater it's whole life, will be transporting the boat East to use in the Atlantic. Runs fine, but want to consider a repower in my budget (transom and bilge are solid and moisture free). I could not find the serial number on the drive to save my life...tho the current owner did say the previous owner replaced portions of the lower unit. Posted a few pics, in case that helps.

No need to upgrade power, drop in of same size/power is fine (using the same transom cutout, if I can).

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.

Thx, Techie

DriveSide.jpgDriveUpClose.jpgEngineID.jpgEngineSmall.jpgGimble.jpgRiser.jpg

If its a small block chevy, just get another mariine SBC. When I did my last re engine they cut the "Y" just a couple of inches above the transom and ran wire reinforced exhaust hose to the elbows ( actually to a pair of 4in to 3 in reducers then the elbows).

These 200 series drives are almost bulletproof. I replaced my original 1969 drive with a used 1980ish 280 and it runs fine... in salt water.

How many hours are on the original engine? Why replace it???? Is it running OK?

........................ Runs fine, but want to consider a repower in my budget (transom and bilge are solid and moisture free). I could not find the serial number on the drive to save my life...tho the current owner did say the previous owner replaced portions of the lower unit.
Yes, I can see from the paint color difference that the lower gear unit has been replaced.
FYI..... it should be a 1.78:1 DP lower.

Don't fret the drive serial number...... you have a second gen 290 style drive.
The 740 was also available with the DP-C, but unfortunately you do not have one.

Posted a few pics, in case that helps.

No need to upgrade power, drop in of same size/power is fine (using the same transom cutout, if I can).
You can replace the current engine with same.

Any help you can provide would be appreciated.
At 2000 hours:
What ever you do, make dang sure that you replace the PDS bearings!
Replace the transmission main drive gear bearings.

Stay with the AQ series drive...... it is bullet proof, and it is main suspension fork/pivot tube geometry...... not a silly gimbal system drive!

Thx, Techie

View attachment 20061View attachment 20062View attachment 20063View attachment 20064View attachment 20065View attachment 20066

If its a small block chevy, just get another mariine SBC.

The AQ740 is a BBC.

Last edited:
Back