Logo

1992 - 1996 Tohatsu 9.9B2 Gearbox Behavior

ussdiy

Hello - I was given a boat from my wife's grandfather who passed away recently. Not knowing if it runs or what kind of condition the motor was in, I went through it this last weekend and found that the impeller, thermostat, and some of the lower unit seals were in pretty bad shape. All of those items have been replaced, but I am uncertain if this gearbox behavior is normal. With the lower unit out I can spin the crank shaft (clockwise) and the prop moves in the correct direction. However, if I try and spin the prop manually in a forward direction I hear a clicking noise. I didn't notice this behavior on my 70HP Johnson which is also on the same boat. The dog clutch looks normal, but I am no expert either. Any advice?

While turning the prop:

Forward Gear Selected (Top Position on Rod):

Forward Spinning - Clicking Noise in Video
Reverse Spinning - Spins - moves the crank - no noises

Neutral Gear Selected (Middle Position on Rod):

Forward Spinning - Freely spins without moving the crank - no noises
Reverse Spinning - Freely spins without moving the crank - no noises

Reverse Gear Selected (Bottom Position on Rod):

Forward Spinning - Spins - moves the crank - no noises
Reverse Spinning - Spins - moves the crank - no noises

The clicking noise in forward is a ratchet effect. It supposed to be less harmful to the gearcase when and if the motor dies at high speed. Less load from the water forcing against the prop.

Yep. Normal. BTW, when servicing the water pump, do a complete wp kit -- not just the impeller. It will pump better and last longer. When doing the LU seals, do not forget the cam rod bushing o-rings; one small inner, and the larger outer.

Back