Logo

2005 Johnson 150 OceanRunner

Doni

Working on a rebuild. mod# J150PXSOE ; Can someone tell me the correct Torque for Part# 0308186. Rod bolt. Followed a video from reliable source however I torqued bolts 20 then 40 lbs. as viewed / instructed this has snapped 2 of my bolts. Am I applying too much? am I reading my torque wrench incorrectly. ie N.M. vs Lbs. also please advise correct torque for 8 crank cover bolts if avail. Thanks in advance.

If it is turned with a 5/16" 12 point socket the correct torque is 370 INCH LBS.-----I would recommend that you install new bolts at this time.---Just proof that some youtube videos are not really " reliable "--------Those bolts have been used for over 60 years and the torque is 370 INCH LBS !!

Last edited:
... correct Torque ....Rod bolt.....I torqued bolts 20 then 40 lbs.....snapped 2 of my bolts.
Follow Racer's advice. 370 INCH-LBS should equal about 30 FT-LBS, but if you're torquing all the way to 40 FT-LBS based on the reference you found then that's probably why you're snapping bolts.

1 FT-lbs = 12 Inch-lbs

370/12 = 30.8 FT-lbs

I had times when I was in a hurry and looked too fast at a spec, kind of wondered why it was so high, but just ahead in FT-lbs until SNAP!! Should have taken that last glance to see the torque was 12 Inch-lbs :eek:

Manual states 360-384 In Lbs or 30-32 Ft Lbs. Always use new bolts, drop of oil on threads,threads chased and clean in rod, torque in 3 steps(10-20-30)and you will be good to go.

Back