Logo

Honda 20D 2015 problems on low RPM

Drivee

Hello,

My Honda 20D from 2015 won't work on small gas. When I put RPM on lowest, work fine, let say that this is 800rpm, if I wont to go on 1100 RPM, start to choke and dont run smooth. If I use more RPM all work fine.. I will add video. What can be problem? Fuel is good, all setup is from last year, I add new fuel, motor have only 60 working hours.

Is your outboard a manual start or electric start? Tiller steer or remote control?
Have you tried squeezing the primer bulb to get more rpm?
Did you completely drain the carburetor before lay uo last year?

Sorry, lots of questions. I will wait to see the video.

@mechanicman

All Honda are 4 stroke.

@jgmo
This is manual+el start, but when I run boat, I didnt had a battery so I start on manual.
Primer buld is hard and Honda have gas to run. I have more rpm if I want too, but I dont have good work of engine on very small RPM.
I didt drain anything, I park boat and engine in my yard.
Today is very windy day, so I will make video in few days.

Thanks for help and answers.

Drivee,
Well, I don't think I will need to see the video.
I think your carburetor TRANSITION orifices may be clogged with deposits that formed as the carb sat with fuel in the float chamber.

At the top of the carburetor "throat", near the throttle plate, are very small holes where the fuel comes out.

One hole is behind the plate so that fuel can enter the engine when the plate is closed.
That hole is the idle or "low speed" orifice.

As the plate is rotated open, it exposes more holes further forward in the throat.

The hole that is farthest forward, away from the plate is the "high speed" orifice.

The two holes between the idle or low speed orifice and the high speed orifice are called the "transition" orifices.

You say it runs ok at idle and it runs ok full throttle. But it doesn't run well in between.
That tells me the orifices that allow fuel to flow as the throttle is rotated from idle but has not opened enough for full fuel to flow from the high speed circuit are not spraying fuel.

The bottom line is that your carburetor needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
These carburetors do not tolerate tiny particles from the fuel.
Most fuel has a little moisture in it. If the fuel has alcohol then there will be more moisture. Moisture carries mineral particles and those particles will try to clog the very small passageways and orifices in the carburetor.

Storing the outboard with fuel in the carburetor exacerbates this problem and can plug a carb from one season to the next.

A good cleaning of your carburetor should restore full performance.

Last edited:
@Jigmo

Sorry that I have doubt in your answer. I clean carb and all work pefrect. Thank you again.

One more question, what is difference betwwen BF20 and BF20D engine and when 20D is launch by Honda?

BF20A was a three cylinder same as the 25, just de rated and much heavier than the current models which were introduced in 2003

Drivee,
Well, I don't think I will need to see the video.
I think your carburetor TRANSITION orifices may be clogged with deposits that formed as the carb sat with fuel in the float chamber.

At the top of the carburetor "throat", near the throttle plate, are very small holes where the fuel comes out.

One hole is behind the plate so that fuel can enter the engine when the plate is closed.
That hole is the idle or "low speed" orifice.

As the plate is rotated open, it exposes more holes further forward in the throat.

The hole that is farthest forward, away from the plate is the "high speed" orifice.

The two holes between the idle or low speed orifice and the high speed orifice are called the "transition" orifices.

You say it runs ok at idle and it runs ok full throttle. But it doesn't run well in between.
That tells me the orifices that allow fuel to flow as the throttle is rotated from idle but has not opened enough for full fuel to flow from the high speed circuit are not spraying fuel.

The bottom line is that your carburetor needs to be thoroughly cleaned.
These carburetors do not tolerate tiny particles from the fuel.
Most fuel has a little moisture in it. If the fuel has alcohol then there will be more moisture. Moisture carries mineral particles and those particles will try to clog the very small passageways and orifices in the carburetor.

Storing the outboard with fuel in the carburetor exacerbates this problem and can plug a carb from one season to the next.

A good cleaning of your carburetor should restore full performance.
An expert advice. awesome!

Thanks for the explanation iang6766. I've never seen a BF 20A so I couldn't have answered the question.

Looking at boats.net, it seems they never imported these to the US, not surprised, they were very heavy for their hp output

Back