Logo

Help me

Givingutheshaft

Hi I have a 470 Mercury MerCruiser motor in the rear end drive shaft busted in half at the four way bearing not sure what it's called I have to buy a new Gimbal and rear mount assembly when the gimbal off any other boat work for this? I believe Mercury came out with a straight 6 which produce like 165 horsepower something like that and mine's only a 4-cylinder not sure how much horsepower it takes out what does it matter if I install a different rear end then the one I have now?

you need a housing from an Alpha drive not horsepower specific. the 4 way is called a U joint and there are 2 of them .Closely inspect the area where the main bellow attaches to the transom.Any damage to the flange will require a new outer transom assembly
rear ends are used on cars, do you mean a different outdrive?

you need a housing from an Alpha drive not horsepower specific. the 4 way is called a U joint and there are 2 of them .Closely inspect the area where the main bellow attaches to the transom.Any damage to the flange will require a new outer transom assembly
. Yes I mean the outer transom Assembly sorry I'm still learning about boats. Can any Alfa drive work. For this aplication? Theres a guy selling a gimbal and all the attachments for the rear of the boat that tge outer transom Assembly hooks too just not sure if it would fit my motor?

The transom housings are the same for alpha one. 3.0l 4.3l 5.0l etc. If your going from a 4cyl to straight 6. Your going to have to modify your boat for the front engine mount . Plus rewire the engine and modify the exhaust. Your best to put a 4.3l v6 in but still you will have to change the exhaust tube modify the engine mounts In the boat. And change the lower part of the drive because the gear ratio is different. .

I think you need a new boat with a bigger engine.

Depending on how old your 470 is, there are two different inner transom plates. Wide and Narrow to match your bell housing.

Your 470 is 170 HP BTW.

If you are going to pull the engine, look for a 4.3 to replace your NLA 470.

Hey BD,..... Was the 470 ever used with the MC-1,..??..??

I know the 470 was gone, before the Gen.II's,....

Back