Logo

four Winns with a Volvo 4.3 look fors

pgorrell

Looking at purchasing a 1997 Four Winns with a Volvo Penta 4.3 I am very unfamiliar with inboards of what to look for mechanically. Any suggestions of things to look for in this boat would be great. The boat itself is in great shape.

Looking at purchasing a 1997 Four Winns with a Volvo Penta 4.3 I am very unfamiliar with inboards
That would be an I/B ..... (I/B = inboard/outboard)

of what to look for mechanically. Any suggestions of things to look for in this boat would be great. The boat itself is in great shape.
I would strongly suggest having a Marine Survey performed.
Depending on the Surveyor's credentials, he may be able to perform both a mechanical and a structural survey.

In some cases, you can ask the owner if he/she will share in the expense..... and...... you may be able to set this up so that the owner burdens the entire cost if the survey fails!

Either way, it is often money well spent!

Also, I would NEVER suggest buying a boat without having first done what we call a "Sea Trial".
A successful sea trial should be done with the boat loaded as you would normally plan to load it as if you owned it.

Good luck, and let us know how it went.

Looking at purchasing a 1997 Four Winns with a Volvo Penta 4.3 I am very unfamiliar with inboards
That would be an I/B ..... (I/B = inboard/outboard)

Ayuh,..... I'd sooner think it's an I/O,.... Inboard/ Outboard,..... ei: Sterndrive,.....

At the very least, I'd want a test ride, 'n compression test,.....

It's just my opinion. But I find the volvo Penta to be very expensive on parts especially the drive. Would be ideally to find a mercruiser. But that's just my opinion. And yes it's I/O inboard/outboard.

Rick nothing wrong with either a mercruiser or volvo drive each work very well when reasonably cared for. Reality is in most areas the access to trained volvo techs and OEM volvo parts is a limitation if you cannot accomplish the repairs yourself.

To OP regardless of which boat you buy considering where you will get it worked on is something to think about as the summer season is so short you don't want to loose water time due to service availability. If you are mechanically inclined and willing most typical repairs and annual Maintenance are within reach of a good backyard mechanic.

The advice if unframilar to get a marine survey is sound. Even if there are issues doesn't mean you have to walk away from an otherwise good condition boat. Just that you know what you ar getting into and can pay the right price or negotiate repairs as part of the deal. Good luck please follow up with any questions

When you compare Volvo to Merc, keep in mind that the Volvo SX drive, is comparable to a Merc Bravo in strength and shift smoothness. Yes an Alpha is cheaper no doubt but with the Volvo you get a drive strong enough for a big block and with smoother cone clutch shifting. To some its worth it to others its not....Might want to try boats equipped with both and see what you think yourself.

Good point Lou. Personally I'm a big fan of the alpha and the dig clutch doesn't bother me, but that's what I learned to drive on. Personally like the parts availability and durability of the alpha for smaller bowriders, but the SX has proven to be an equally duarable design.

Back