Logo

1986 115HP mixture setting help ?

PNWBoater

Hi,

Just got this 1986 Yamaha 115hp 2 strokes 115ETLJ. I am going through it right now and I have a question about mixture setting.
I do not have a 1986 Yamaha manual but my 1990 and 1993 manuals have 5/8 of a turn for mixture setting.
However when I cleaned the carbs the mixture was set at 1 1/4 turn for all the mixture screws...

If someone could confirm what the appropriate setting would be, I would appreciate very much.

Thank you.

F

I'm not sure of the exact setting. But did you run it before you took it apart? Did it run well?

Maybe someone here may have the preset. But if not.

Set them all at 1 turn out. Then if you can run it under load . Just above idle in gear. You can set the mixture. Start with one carb. Try 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Listen to the motor. You want to get the highest rpm possible. If it's too rich it will bog. If it's too lean it will bog. Once you set the first carb. Move to the next one. When you think they are set properly. You may have to adjust the idle.
Make sure you have someone drive the boat or tie it off at the dock. Or if you have a big enough container that will hold the water in gear without splashing out
If for some.e reason it will not start cold. Set mixture to 1 1/4- 1 1/2. Then work from there

I'm not sure of the exact setting. But did you run it before you took it apart? Did it run well?

Maybe someone here may have the preset. But if not.

Set them all at 1 turn out. Then if you can run it under load . Just above idle in gear. You can set the mixture. Start with one carb. Try 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time. Listen to the motor. You want to get the highest rpm possible. If it's too rich it will bog. If it's too lean it will bog. Once you set the first carb. Move to the next one. When you think they are set properly. You may have to adjust the idle.
Make sure you have someone drive the boat or tie it off at the dock. Or if you have a big enough container that will hold the water in gear without splashing out
If for some.e reason it will not start cold. Set mixture to 1 1/4- 1 1/2. Then work from there

Thanks. The carbs were so dirty I didn't even try to start it before a good clean up.

I'll try that..

F

Quick update:

I finally got the yamaha manual for my 1986 , 115HP EJTL.
Yamaha is sating 2 1/4 turn out from lightly seated for the air/fuel mixture screws.

Odd that 5/8 is what yamaha recommends for subsequent years..

Just wanted to let you know, in case someone needs info one day.

Engine is running very well..:)

Back