Logo

Oil capacity for a new 5.7 motor

rick3452

Regular Contributor
Hi guys my new crate 5.7 motor measures about a quarter of an inch above the fill mark with 4 Quarts of oil . This includes a filter change as well. The new long block did not come with a dipstick tube and dipstick we did use the one from the previous 5.0 motor model year 2000 . Should the new 5.7 have a different length of the dipstick to get the proper reading and should I be OK with putting in exactly 4 quarts including the filter on the new motor even though it shows over filled?
Previous motor. 0M012817

New Motor. 1M10057L46
Thanks!
Rick

Have you rolled over the engine yet? Doesn't need to be started. It may look overfilled because the oil filter hasn't had oil through it yet.

Should take 5 to 6 qts. with filter. Unless I'm retarded. What oil pan did you use? Where is the filter located and what size filter did you use? There are a couple filters that will fit with different capacities. Sounds like your dipstick is not in the right position. Most oil filters will hold about 1 qt. Remote located filters will have oil in the circulation hoses/tubes. SB chevs must have a standing oil level just below the crankshafts rotational plane. Always check for proper distance below the block when you prefit the dipstick.....oops, too late.

Last edited:
Timguy, Yes I’ve already put 25 hrs plus...
No remote filter, uses short filter on bottom

Last edited:
Never heard of one taking less than 4 quarts with filter. You need to recalculate your oil dipstick and get another quart in there. Chris at Dockside Marine could tell you better, I am about 70 percent outboard and 20 percent IO's and 10 percent inboards.

I am not aware of a Marine 5.7L SBC oil pan with a 4 quart capacity. I suspect that something is wrong here.

Also, I would suggest using the large filter, not the small one.
Always Pre-Fill the filter to approx 80%.

Add the correct amount of oil, start the engine, let it rest, take a reading and re-mark the dip stick.

DID the new block come with the dipstick or did you swap?

Is the old dipstick location/boss the same between blocks?

Is the oil pan exactly the same? Did you swap oil pans from old to new?

If you read the mercruiser literature is always says,

FILL TO PROPER LEVEL.

Thanks for helping everyone, Rick needs to recalculate. Even the little filter holds over 20 oz. So there is likely less than 3 3/4 qts. in that pan.

99% of Standard 5.7 ltr merc blocks hold 5 qrts with filter.

What can vary is dip stick tube lenght and dip stick lenght.

If the dip tube was swapped there is a possibility it is not seated properly, the dip tube lenght is wrong for oil pan (if it came with new block) or dip stick is incorrect length combined with wrong tube for oil pan ( if pan came with new block)

OP needs to answer more questions.

It is highly unlikely the new block only holds 4 qrts.

Also there typically should be no difference in castings but without visual confirmation of dip tube location on both and visual comparison of both oil pans there is no correct answer to be given.

Thanks Jack, I'm going to call Eagle where my mechanic purchased the new long block. It came complete with pan, but no dipstick tube or dip stick, however the dipstick tube is in the exact location as the 5.0

Back