Logo

Mid '70's Merc 110 9.8 Reed valve issue?

zhompzhomp

I have a mid 70's (I think its a 75) Merc 110 9.8. It came with a boat I bought about two years ago, and Ive been using a different motor since because this one leaks fuel out of the front of the the carburetor. It does this when starting, which when cold takes 3 to 4 pulls. It will dump about a half shot glass worth. But when the motor is running its fine, no fuel leaks out. I noticed if I pull the choke to stop it, fuel comes out then too. Anyway I decided it was time to tackle the issue, and decided to clean and rebuild the carb. Well, then I broke that carb beyond repair putting in back together. Go figure. So I bought a used carb on ebay, cleaned and rebuilt that, threw it on the motor and the same thing keeps happening.

A guy on youtube said that it might be the reed valves. I'm really hoping this isn't the case because the reeds on these things look like a serious pain to get to. Has anyone opened up the crankcase on these to get to the valves? I'm wondering if I have to overhaul the whole power head, or if I can just get enough stuff off to remove the bottom half of the crankcase and then get the crankshaft and reed box out. Wishful thinking maybe.

BUT I'm also wondering if it is bad reeds, why wouldn't there be fuel spitting out the whole time the engine is running? Or maybe whatever damage the reeds may have is slight enough that a seal is formed on the power stroke?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Repair the float valve in the carburetor.-------Reeds are fairly reliable and I think they are OK because you say the motor runs fine.

Repair the float valve in the carburetor.-------Reeds are fairly reliable and I think they are OK because you say the motor runs fine.

I did replace the float needle when I cleaned and rebuild the carb. Could it be the needle seat is damaged? Ive read that the seat is pressed into the carburetor body and to not remove it.

If it is a carb issue still and not the reeds (fingers crossed) pretty weird that the original and the replacement carb would do the same thing.

Thanks a ton for your input!

Alot of 9.8 's that I've worked on and started. They seem to leak at the carb at start up full choke on. Mind you it's not half a shot glass. Racerone is right. Set the float a little bit higher and try again. It should start or sputter on 3 pulls. Then put choke at half. And it should fire right up. Let it warm up good before you push the choke off. If it takes more pulls to get it going and it's drooling gas you may have an issue with the idle circuit in the carb.

Back