Logo

6v92Turbo not building oil pressure

MakingMemories

Hello Everyone,

I hope y’all don’t mind if I ask some questions? I have a “land yacht”, a motor coach, with a 6v92Turbo that won’t build oil pressure.

Ive replaced the pickup tube, oil relief and regulator valves.

My Next stop is opening up the oil pump.

I’m just wondering if there are any other places I should be looking before I tear into the pump?

Thanks

Brett

A collapsed oil filter. The filter bypass should open, but is it's a cheap filter... Is it a high hour engine? Could be bearing wear and/or pump wear, but it doesn't suddenly happen.

Well, Lepke, it seems that the oil filter may have indeed been the culprit. I removed and disassembled the pump and everything looked good to me. I carried it to the local detroit shopm shop and they concurred and suggested I change the filter. I did so and I now have strong oil pressure.
I guess I should think about changing the oil bypass valve?
Thanks for your response. I appreciate it.

Brett

I meant the bypass valve in the bottom of the spin on oil filter. The bypass is there for people that don't change their oil and filter. If the filter plugs the bypass opens so the engine gets oil even if it's dirty. Cheap oil filters like Fram or made by Fram under another name, have a much less reliable bypass. So if the filter collapses and block oil flow and the bypass doesn't work properly, you get low or no oil pressure.

Back