Logo

ignition ? I just switched motors

Frank55911

I just took out a tired motor and put in a fresh motor the old motor had electronic ignition which I would like to put on the new motor can anyone tell me what I have to do to make this happen? Thanks very much Fraqnk

Basically, pull the dist, get motor on #1 compression TDC make the rotor is facing a plug wire post in the cap, install dist making sure the oil pump shaft lines up and the dist is fully seated. You may have to rotate the oil pump shaft with a long screwdriver to line it up with the dist
plug firing order 1,3,4,2 clockwise

Suggestion:

Before removing the ignition distributor on the replacement engine, turn that crankshaft over so that #1 cylinder stops at #1 TDC on the C/S.
(C/S = compression stroke)

Now remove the ignition distributors and install the electronic unit into your replacement engine.
Install it so that the distributor's rotor is aiming towards the physical location of #1 cylinder.

As Bt Doctur says, you may need to reach down/in and rotate the oil pump shaft in order to allow the distributor's driven gear to align and fully drop in.

Next..... follow the OEM ignition advance instructions, and by all means follow the OEM run-in or break-in procedure.

If any of this is above your mechanical skill level, I would take Chris's advice.

Last edited:
I have been working on cars all my life,
I know how to set up the timing if need be what Im not sure about is the electrical part, Thanks every one

Frank, Merc eventually went to an EST ignition system on the 3.0L engine.

Questions:

Is this the OEM EST ignition system?
EST = electronic spark timing.
No mechanical advancing mechanism within the distributor.

Is this a non EST ignition system, such as VR, Hall Effect or other?
VR = variable reluctor. Hall Effect is used by several other manufacturers.
These will use a mechanical advancing system.

Regardless of the ignition system, see your OEM Ignition Advance specs and set things up to reflect those specs!
Understand that Automotive Ignition Advance specs are NOT the same as with Marine.

As Chris says....... if the advance is not correct, you may ruin this new engine!

Hello again I just switched motors in my boat I would like to put the electronic ignition from the old motor to the new motor I know how to set up the timing I don't know how to hook up the wiring can anyone help me. the boat is a 1995 Bay liner with a merc 3.0 engine . Thanks for your help Frank

I would like to put the electronic ignition from the old motor to the new motor I know how to set up the timing I don't know how to hook up the wiring

What ignition is it,..?? The EST,..??

Back