Logo

9.9 hp johnson/tiller 1988 shift linkage adjustment

newyota

Regular Contributor
When putting motor back in neutral from forward it does not disengage while running.When motor is off it disengages fine.If I give the shift lever alittle nudge and back to neutral it will then disengage while running.Would this mean the shift rod may be a tad too long or short or something else such as brass connection block.?Connection under cowling looks good.

Last edited:
If the lower unit has been off recently... and if the shifting was okay before that action, I'd suspect that the grooves in the shift rod are not perfectly aligned with the retaining bolts in that brass shifter.

Which rod...who knows, maybe both? :)

Lower shift rod height incorrect ( but I thought it should be screwed in fully ???)

But check the correct location of the screws in the connector between upper and lower shift rods before pulling the lower unit to check the lower rod.

Details in the manual on the boatinfo website. Probably cannot post a link on this forum

http://www.************/lib/evinrude/manuals/1971-1989johnsonevinrude.html#/402

Probably also info in Leeroys ramblings ( not much that isn't) http://leeroysramblings.com/Outboard Motor Related/OMC outboard related articles.html

Lower shift rod height incorrect ( but I thought it should be screwed in fully ???)

I was also of the mindset that the threaded lower shift rod on the 9.9hp would be screwed all the way in, then backed out if need be just far enough to have the bend face forward.

Believe I just found my problem.In 2012 I had to tear this outboard apart and found the top threads on brass block were stripped and someone put a small bolt and nut thru the hole.I never worked on an outboard before this.Anyway,I put the new brass block on and all was good.Had to put a impeller on acouple years ago and all went well which leads me now to my issue.Seems the lower bolt on brass block which I did not loosen of course to disconnect linkage was not tight enough(I guess I should of checked it at impeller change)and the block was moving up and down on the lower shift linkage.When I removed upper bolt it was hard to remove and the threads I assumed were rubbing against shift linkage groove andI ruined it removing it.Have to order new bolt now.thanks for the input again.

Last edited:
Update on this issue.After getting things back together and trying it the motor would shift into and back to neutral no problem
.Reverse to neutral had to bump it to get it to disengage.Ended up adjusting the neutral detent linkage to get it to work properly.

Back