Logo

Trim down button not working on throttle handle but works at bow and motor

Dam13n

Contributing Member
Hi all,

trim down button has stopped working on the throttle lever. Relays seem to work due to trim up and down working on the bow switch and motor switch. Does anyone know how to disassemble the throttle handle? Am I overlooking a common loose connection of some sort? Boat is 1995 Stratos 201 pro xl, with 1995 200hp Evinrude Vindicator.

If the UP button at the throttle PTT switch functions, then obviously you have 12v supplied to the switch.... and obviously the PTT unit complete is okay as it functions with the other two switches.

That leaves either a bad PTT switch, which you can test simply by applying 12v to the down wire at the switch, and if the unit moves down, obviously the switch is bad... OR... <--- if that test does nothing, the down wire leading to the PTT junction box is broken or has a faulty connection somewhere.

Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the info joereeves.! I plan to look into everything when this bad weather passes through Georgia.!

Thanks for the info joereeves.! I plan to look into everything when this bad weather passes through Georgia.!

What portion of Georgia? When I got back from the Pacific area in the early 1950's, I was stationed at Turned AFB (Albany, Ga) for about 1.5 years and fell in love with that town and its people... Should have stayed there instead of going back to NJ at discharge time.

Hadn’t had a chance to work on it with all the rain. My plan is to do it tomorrow. I’ll definitely update the thread with any findings.

Can’t get the handle off. I’ve tried but scared that I’m going to mess something up up. I’ll post pictures of the handle. If someone knows how to disassemble then I’ll be glad to have that advice.

If you have the control box whereas the throttle handle is held on with a Allen Screw.... remove the screw, then screw in a long 1/4x20 threaded bolt (screw it in all the way)... then belt it a good smack with your hammer! That'll do it, guaranteed.

Be sure to have the box in neutral when reinstalling that handle.

Finally got a chance to work on the trim button and yes the green wire was broken/cut in half right behind the control arm.

It was fairly simple to remove the control handle after a little research. Push button in that disengages the gear. Pull control handle in reverse. Insert Allen wrench in opening that should be at the nine o’clock position. Backed screw out approximately three turns while gently pulling outward on the control lever until it pops off. Be sure to remember at what position the handle is in when you remove it. You will have to reinstall it in that same position. Hope this helps if anyone is having trim button issues. I have pict of broken wire and will try to post it

Hi all, I can't seem to add photos to this post to close out. Can someone please let me know how to add photos?
Thanks,

Back